108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX 10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Stallard

HPUX 10.20

I am installing Node Manager and it requires
twice the swap space (1024) that I have (512).
I tried SAM to increase the space but the message :
can not umount the system to increase space because devices is busy:
or not enough "extendts" to increase the space
8 REPLIES 8
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: HPUX 10.20

Create an additional swap space by creating an lvol, do not newfs it.

There are previous posts that detail the steps involved in creating the swap. Can do a search withing the forums using the keyword of "swap"
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

After defining the swap device, use the swapon command to activate and update your fstab file so it comes up at boot.

SAM can also be of help to you for defining the additional swap
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

To increase swap is a hard job even for experimented admins.
swap need to be contigous. You should check: if you have space in vg00, if you have unallocated physical extends just next after swap. (ex. swap's last extend is 0070, you have to have 0071 and up unallocated...; run lvdispay -v /dev/vg00/lvol02 (what ever is swap lv called); lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol3). If you have the required contiguous space, you have to go in single user mode and from command line use lvextend command. (if you choose to go with this, and you need help come back with details about output from lvdispay).

But, you can try to create a secondary swap device, creating a new lvol and allocate it as swap (that is possible using either sam or command line).
You can use a file system as swap as well (I would not do it except emergency or/and limited time).

See http://docs.hp.com/dynaweb/hpux10/hpuxen0a/b2043/@Generic__BookView, HP-UX Sys Admin Task ->Managing Swap Space and Dump Area
Kevin Stallard

If I create the seconday swap space should I then ingore/delete the original ? or will they work in unison.

Kevin Stallard

Rick Garland and Antoanetta Naghiu thank you for the information.
I will try your logical suggestions on Monday when I return.
Kevin Stallard

I still have to address the
can not unmount, device is busy.
The message apears on any file system I try to unmount.
Kevin Stallard

I still have to address the
can not unmount, device is busy.
The message apears on any file system I try to unmount.
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

Do not delete the original swap! If you are going to create the secondary swap, first read the docs, make a plan about: how big, how you like to call the logical volume, do you have enough disk space for it? Think a little bit about performance (a good one is if you are going to go with the secondary swap size=primary one, in another physical disk (if possible). If you read the the Adding Swap from the internet link that I mentioned it in my previous post, you'll have a better picture.
A good description of using sam to add swap is in
http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xd66d7e990647d4118fee0090279cd0f9,00.html
http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x72b7119c3420d411b66300108302854d,00.html

To answer to your secondary question, well, when a fs is busy you can not mount it.
When a fs is busy? When a running process is touching it. (the application that resides in the fs is running, or a file from that fs is in use (read, write). You can get "fs busy" even if a user is sitting (cd in) one directory from that fs.
So, using fuser command you can identify the processes that are touching that fs. It is your choice to stop the application or kill the process. fuser has a option to kill directly the processes. After that fs is not in use, you can umount it....
See http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xd66d7e990647d4118fee0090279cd0f9,00.html
You can search by yourself for the similar topic into the forum.