Operating System - HP-UX
1753964 Members
7403 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I install patch bundle in some other directory ?

Irfan Ahmed_1
Advisor

How can I install patch bundle in some other directory ?

Hi all,
When I tried to install patch bundle QPK1100 using swinstall ,a message was displayed saying More space is required in /usr partition. So I want to know whether I can specify the place(destination directory) where this bundle gets installed so that I need not increase the size of /usr partition.
If yes please let me know the command.
Is there any option in swinstall to do this?

Thanks..
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant Zanwar_4
Respected Contributor

Hmm,

I dont believe you can do something like that. instead you may do some housekeeping and also try finding contigeous space if it is there in VG00 available..It's quite a critical situation where you need to back-out system using ignite and then increase the /usr FS..

Just wait for others to respond too..which will surely be helpful to you..

just see

du -sxk /usr/* | sort -nr

try and see if anything is not really of yoru interest. Check for anything which you can uninstall so that some space will be freed up...

also cleanup -c2 or something may help you in this situation

Thanks
Prashant
"Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless."
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You cannot relocate the location of the files being installed through that patch. If you are out of space on /usr, either create some space by deleting some old / unused big files or extend the size of /usr.

If you have onlinejfs on this system,, you can increase the size of /usr, else reboot the system in single user mode and increase the size of /usr.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Files in depot files are specified with an absolute PATH. So you will not be able to do what you seem to want.

Note that you can specify an alternate root for your install :
swinstall -s \* @:/alternate/path/to/install
but, as said, it will be an alternate root, and software will not be usable unless you chroot to the specified dir...

A real solution to your problem may be to increase size of /usr. Do a "vgdisplay vg00" to see if there is still place left on your root vg. Note that increasing /usr will problably (surely) need a reboot.

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Another solution (that may not be a good one) to get place in /usr without rebooting in single mode, create a new lv in vg00 to store a part of /usr.

For example : create LVs for /usr/local, /usr/share or /usr/contrib. It will save a few MB in /usr. Moving /usr/lib may be a bad idea.

DON'T go for this solution on a production system or if you're not sure of what you're doing.

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Irfan Ahmed_1
Advisor

Hi all,
it is not possible to install in some other directory as the patches have absolute adress of place of installation.