1753875 Members
7966 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How replace the primary link disk?

Hari PN
Occasional Advisor

How replace the primary link disk?

please let me know procedure for replaceing the primary link disk.

is there any data failure?

Regards
Hari
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: How replace the primary link disk?

Be more specific about what you mean by the primary link disk. If you are talking about primary/alternate paths, you have only one disk device with multiple paths, if you are talking about mirrrong you have to describe your mirroring setup.
Hari PN
Occasional Advisor

There is no mirror,one primary disk and two alternate disk are there, In that primary got failed so i need to replace the primary disk.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hari,

can u please give the vgscan -v O/P of the systen and ioscan -fnCdisk for the system?

and please tell which disks in the display in the two command O/ps as i have asked are u calling the primary disk and which one u call the alternate disks???

This will help uis better understand what u specifically want to say.

Regards
Sujit
Hari PN
Occasional Advisor

For example:

PV Name /dev/dsk/c2t0d7
PV Name /dev/dsk/c3t0d7 Alternate Link
VG Name /dev/vg12
PV Status available
Allocatable yes
VGDA 2
Cur LV 1
PE Size (Mbytes) 4
Total PE 8190
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 8190
Stale PE 0
IO Timeout (Seconds) 180
Autoswitch On

/dev/dsk/c2t0d7 - failed primary link
/dev/dsk/c3t0d7 - Altername disk
/dev/dsk/c4t0d7 - Alternate disk
Please let me know the steps how to replace the primary link disk?
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

these are the different paths called PV links to the same physical disk.
it seems that one of the paths to the disk has failed and LVM has switched the IO access to the other path.

this seems to be a problem with one of the paths of the disk and not with the disk which is being accessed from the other path.

do u have some multipathing in the system installed like Securepath/EMC powerpath etc?this will automatically take care if the Primary path comes alive.

also are also seeing in the other VGs that the paths corresponding to /dev/dsk/c2t*d* have failed?

if yes check on for the #ioscan -fnCfc and try to match the Hrdware path to the FC Devices to the HW paths corresponding to the disks of the /dev/dsk/c2t*d*.

find the correspondinf FC device file froom the ioscan -fnCfc O/p.

on the matching dev file for FC card that will be like /dev/fcd0 and /dev/fcd1 run the command fcmsutil /dev/fcd0 to see that the FC adapter is online.

this can be an FC adapter being offline or lost connectivity to the SAN.

Regrads Sujit

if possible give me the O/ps for the ioscan -fnCdisk and vgdisplay -v and fcmsutil /dev/fcd0 and fcmsutil /dev/fcd1

sujit
sdass
Advisor

This can be multiple issue

1;FC card problem
2;Switch port issue
3;FC cable fault from HBA to switch or switch to storage

post the output of ioscan -fnC FC,ioscan -fnC disk,fcmsutil /dev/fcd0, fcmsutil /dev/fcd1

IF every think of the above mentioned issue is ok check the SAN switch log whether any port has gone offline and came back to online then activate the PV Path with the command

#pvchange -a y /dev/dsk/cxtxdx