1752810 Members
6078 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to create Alternate Link of a PV in a VG

Mamun_1
Occasional Contributor

How to create Alternate Link of a PV in a VG

Configuration with HP rp8440, I found PV configured as Alternate Link of another PV. Now I want to add more PV's with in a VG. But I dont know how to assign more PV in a VG as Alternate Link of another PV. How it cound be know which PV can assign Alternate Link of another VG.
Please help me to resolve.thanks
CSA
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

you add the alternate path of the PV to the volume group using the vgextend command

vgextend /dev/vgname /dev/dsk/alt-pv-path

Do not run pvcreate on the alternate path, the vgextend will know that the new PV is the alternate path of an existing PV.
Matthias Zander
Advisor

pvcreate will write an uniq ID on your disk. So if you extend your VG with two devicefiles it will automatically detect, that it is the same physical disk.

btw.: don't forget to change your /etc/lvmpvg. It is just an textfile you can edit with vi.
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Abdulla

if u are using pvcreate -f then only it will make problems.
if u are using just pvcreate without f then it will tell u the pv is already used.

sajjad
Henry Fauni
Valued Contributor

What kind of storage device is this host connected to? If it's a storage array using a concept of "LUN ownership", for performance reasons, when adding PV's, make sure you extend it first (making it primary) to the path of the Array controller owning the LUN. Then you extend it (Alternate path) to the other standby path.
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

If you know the pv paths already.

just do
vgextend /dev/dsk/c... /dev/vgname

check
vgdisplay -v vgname

will show alternate links

then do pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c..
this will show you which vg it belongs