Operating System - HP-UX
1753829 Members
8668 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to increase free space on /tmp using JFS?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

How to increase free space on /tmp using JFS?

Hi,

HPUX 11.11 JFS vg00 is mirrored

We want to increase disk space on the /tmp
file system in the vg00 volume group.

I believe we need to boot the server into single user mode so we can umount the /tmp
file system. What are the exact steps to increasing free disk space?

10 points to any answer.
Thank you
Gino

11 REPLIES 11
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: How to increase free space on /tmp using JFS?

Gino,

If you have OnlineJFS, it's simple and you don't need to reboot. Check like this

# swlist |grep -i online
B3929CA B.11.11 HP OnLineJFS
OnlineJFS B.11.11.03.03 Online features of the Vx
FS File System

If the above shows you have OnlineJFS you can expand by running "fsadm -b newsize mount_point". Have a look at "man fsadm_vxfs" for details.

If you don't have online JFS, then you have to run lvextend and extendfs, which requires the FS to be unmounted, probably necessitating a reboot to single user mode. Look at "man lvextend", particularly the EXAMPLES section.

Pete

Pete
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Although it isn't the question you asked, you probably aren't asking the right question. The right question is why do you need to increase space on /tmp? On modern UNIX boxes (those less than about 15 years old), /tmp should only be used for temporary files directly associated with the OS. User temporary files should use /var/tmp and well-written applications (including scripts) will go a step further and query the TMPDIR environment variable and use that if defined and default to /var/tmp otherwise. Only on very rare occasions does /tmp itself need to be enlarged.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Sorry Pete - you forgot to say you must lvextend prior to doing the fsadm command:

If /tmp is /dev/vg00/lvol6

then

lvextend -L 1024 /dev/vg00/lvol6
fsadm -b 1024M /tmp

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

Clay,

I agree with you about the general/normal use of the /tmp fs. However I have a specific/special reason for enlarging /tmp

Our /tmp is currently 7GB and I want to increase it to 14GB. The reason is that we are running OVO/UX on this server (clustered) and we want to run the OVOU backup utility (opc_backup) which copies
several file systems and Oracle database files to disk and the best candidate for this is the /tmp filesystem.

We really need a spare disk for this purpose
but for now this is the best we can do.

10 points to any answer.
Thank you
Gino
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't use /tmp for copying OVO db's and file systems - I would create a new file system for that purpose....

Something like /data/openview/backup or /data/openview/tmp

(that's what we do)

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Mine is set up as /ovobackups and I also have a separate /download filesystem which is used to archive the OV/O history logs. My /ovobackups filesystem is sized large enough to handle the most recent 2 backups. This directory is backed up by Data Protector and a cron job runs to only keep the 2 most recent versions. Older backups can be restored by DP. In any event, OV/O is considered an application and /tmp should not be used. 7GiB is an enormous /tmp filesystem. By comparison, /tmp on my largest boxes is 512MiB and stays at 1% utilization almost all the time.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

You can increase /tmp very easy:

If you have OnlineJfs installed:

#lvextend -L 14436 /dev/vg00/lvolX (see output from bdf, where /tmp is located)

#fsadm -F vxfs -b 14680064 /tmp

If don't have OnlineJFS:

Check what process use /tmp with fuser and try to unmount it.

#umount /dev/vg00/lvolX

Do same as above - lvextend
#lvextend -L 14436 /dev/vg00/lvolX
#extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvolX

Mount agains:
#mount /dev/vg00/lvolX /tmp

If /tmp cannot be unmounted you should go to single user mode.

regards,
ivan
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is it possbile to "reduce" the /tmp file system at a later date?

10 points to any answer.
Thank you
Gino
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Gino:

> Is it possbile to "reduce" the /tmp file system at a later date?

Yes, if you have OnlineJFS you can not only extend but you can reduce the size of a filesystem without having to recreate it.

The later the version of JFS the better.

Regards!

...JRF...