Operating System - HP-UX
1748278 Members
4175 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to migrate from EMC CLARiiON with PowerPath to HP 3PAR with PVLinks on HP-UX 11.23?

SOLVED
Go to solution
StuartA46
Frequent Advisor

How to migrate from EMC CLARiiON with PowerPath to HP 3PAR with PVLinks on HP-UX 11.23?

We just bought a HP 3PAR V400.  We have an EMC CLARiiON with PowerPath.  We want to migrate (online if possible) from the CLARiiON to the 3PAR on the same server with HP-UX 11.23.

HP 3PAR supports only PVLinks on HP-UX 11.23.  The CLARiiON devices use PowerPath.  Can I use them BOTH in the same VG to mirror LVs and then break mirror?  Will LVM support some of the volumes with PowerPath and some of the volumes with PVLinks in the same VG?

"pvmove" also requires tha tthe source and target device be in the same VG.  Same question....

Is there another way to migrate volumes?

I could "drop" powerpath and use only PVLinks on all devices.  How do I drop PowerPath and convert to PVLinks?  Can I do an "vgexport/vgimport" and "recover" the VGs?

Stuart

2 REPLIES 2
Kris_Knigga
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: How to migrate from EMC CLARiiON with PowerPath to HP 3PAR with PVLinks on HP-UX 11.23?

You can do the 'lvextend -m1 ...' approach to mirror each LV to the new storage and then 'lvreduce -m0 ...' to drop the old storage out of the mirror.  You can also use 'pvmove', which basically does the mirror thing, just one PE at a time.  I've used both methods in storage migrations in the past, both with great success.  I prefer the 'pvmove' method, as it's a little easier, but LV mirroring is probably a little safer.

I don't think you'll have any problems with having both PowerPath devices and non-PowerPath devices in the same VG.  The only thing I would think to verify is that 'Max PV' is big enough to hold both sets of PVs, or else you'll have to do a little juggling.

You shouldn't have to get rid of PowerPath until all of your Clariion storage is gone.

Kris Knigga
StuartA46
Frequent Advisor

All:

We have so far tested HP-UX 11.11 and HP-UX 11.23 with PowerPath to DMX and CLARiiON, and added HP 3PAR with PVLinks to Servers.  PowerPath "ignores" disks that he doesn't "recognize" like he does with the interal disks, and we seem to be fine. 

You can put BOTH PowerPath LUNs and PVLink VLUNs in the same VG, and LVM doesn't care.  Then we use LVM mirroring to migrate storage, described above.

Stuart