New Discussion юеВ

How to move a bootable LVM disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
ebnsys2ek
Occasional Contributor

How to move a bootable LVM disk

Hi!

I've got a B2000 vizualize with an internal SCCI-bus which the boot-disk is located on. For different reasons I needed this disk to be easily taken out, so I bought an external disk-cabinet for SCCI and a SCCI-card which I connected through one of the PCI-slots. So far so good, the new SCCI-card was detected by PDC. Even the boot-disk was detected at its new connection and recognized as at bootable device by the search-function. However when I do the boot p1(as search determined the path to be)and of course intact with IPL, it won't boot. It just panics and "reboots". What am I to do?
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: How to move a bootable LVM disk

I would think that the LVM structures on the disk still refer to the old address (i.e. /dev/dsk/c1t5d0) and since the address is now different, things get confused. If you had a second disk you could put in the external cabinet, you could create a bootable volume and copy, lvol by lvol, your original boot volume over to it. You could also use Ignite to create a bootable backup tape and use that to rebuild the original disk in it's new location.

Pete

Pete
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

What has been done so far as it sounds like you may have mirrored it already, if so how.

Regards

Tim
-
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Pete is giving you the best answer possible, use ignite to create a bootable tape and restore it on your disk in the cabinet.

Robert-Jan.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

At exactly which point does it fail to boot ? If you can get to the ISL prompt you must boot in lvm maintenance mode (-lm) so that you can vgimport vg00 - so that the new device file is registered, then it should boot up aok.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
blal
Frequent Advisor

Hi

I think you have installed OS by connecting the disk in the internal interface and now you
are connecting the disk on the different interface.

When you change the controller the device file name gets changed and the LVM information on the disk may be refering to the old information.

You can try to do an ignite recovery on this disk after connecting to the exteranl scsi card.

Pls find that the kernel drivers already present and what is required for the new card are same.

regds,
baiju

Live and let live.
RolandH
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you like to move a disk to another physical location this will change the HW path and
therefore the device file. You need to update the LVM configuration to reflect these changes.
This is done by exporting the VG and then importing it using the new device files.
Here???s how to do that:
Note the HW paths and devicefiles of all disks in the affected VG:
# vgdisplay -v vg##
# ioscan -fnkCdisk
Remove the device files you won???t need anymore and shutdown the system:
# rmsf -H
# shutdown -h 0
Now carry out the hardware modifications and boot the system from the new HW path to
maintenance mode:
ISL> hpux ???lm
The new device files should be automatically created during bootup. If this is not the case you
can easily create them using insf(1M):
# insf -H -e
Now note the VG???s minor number and export it:
# ll /dev/*/group
# vgexport -v -m /tmp/vg##.map vg##
Import the VG again
# mkdir /dev/vg##
# mknod /dev/vg##/group c 64 0xXY0000
# vgimport -v -m /tmp/vg##.map vg## ...
NOTE: If you are dealing with a large amount of disks i recommend to use the ???-f outfile??? option with
vgexport/vgimport.
If this is the root VG you need to update the information contained in BDRA:
# lvlnboot -r /dev//lvol3
# lvlnboot -b /dev//lvol1
# lvlnboot -s /dev//lvol2
# lvlnboot -d /dev//lvol2
# lvlnboot ???v (to ckeck it)
Now activate the VG and check the results:
# vgchange -a y vg##
# vgdisplay -v vg##
Because it is not allowed to change from maintenance mode to a higher run level you need to
reboot:
# shutdown -r 0

HTH

Roland
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
ebnsys2ek
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

Due to other projects I haven't had the time to look into my LVM-problem until now, but today I tried Roland's recipe.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to boot the disk in maintainance mode in it's new position. Some of the messages printed was:

sync'ing disks

"something about the machine going down for reboot"

It was not possible for the kernel to locate the process that coused this.

If someone out there has any idea what to do, I would make my day.

regards
Martin