1753846 Members
8428 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

How to remover the external scsi tape(hot-plug) drive on HP-UX

Anutec
Occasional Contributor

How to remover the external scsi tape(hot-plug) drive on HP-UX

I need to remove tape drive (DAT 72) on HP-UX. But I don't know how to do it.
1 REPLY 1
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to remover the external scsi tape(hot-plug) drive on HP-UX

Well, since you have already identified the drive as a hot-plug drive then you simply remove the drive module and declare victory. You don't really have to issue any command; any access of the missing tape drive will simply fail.

Now if the question is I have an externally connected tape drive. How do I disconnect it?
The official, supported answer is that you shutdown; remove the tape drive and make sure that the SCSI bus is terminated. You then reboot. However, I have removed many, many non hot-plug tape drives "on the fly" and replaced the terminator without incident. This does assume a quiet SCSI bus and generally a bus that contains only inactive tape drives. I wouldn't consider this on a mixed bus that also contained disk drives. Removing the device will trigger a SCSI bus reset but this is considered a normal (more or less) event and the driver will handle the disconnect without crashing the system.

By the way, your question would be much easier to answer with greater precision had you bothered to mention the drive model and interface type.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.