5301 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to replace a mirrored VxVM root disk

Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

Re: How to replace a mirrored VxVM root disk

Hi steven,

I would prefer u seeing the txt file attachment. It contains the same instruction that is given below.

Firstly, the system has booted from, /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 as the adb output suggests.
It is the second disk /dev/dsk/c2t1d0 from which it is not booted from and is also the one failing making our procedure easy.
The steps for replacing the second disk is as follows. Here I have given basic commands to
achieve it,

1) You need to disassociate the plexes associated from the second disk,

vxplex -g rootdg homevol-02 optvol-02 rootvol-02 standvol-02 swapvol-02 tmpvol-02 usrvol-02 varvol-02

verify the action,
vxprint -t

2) you need to delete the plexes that are disassociated now.

vxedit -g rootdg -r rm homevol-02 optvol-02 rootvol-02 standvol-02 swapvol-02 tmpvol-02 usrvol-02 varvol-02

verify the action,
vxprint -t

3) remove the second disk from the rootdg,

vxdg -g rootdg rmdisk rootdisk02

Now you can repalce the second disk, say if it is hot pluggable , u do not have any issues,
follow the instruction by the vendor, If it is not hotplugable, shutdown the unix box. replace
disk with the new one. Boot the machine. Now run the "ioscan -fnC disk" command. Let us assume
the device file for the new disk is the same as the repalced one. Now you can perform the mirror-
ing with the following command.

/etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir -v c2t1d0

This process might take about 20 minutes, verify it by issuing the following command.

vxprint -t

Regards,
Senthil Kumar .A
Let your effort be such, the very words to define it, by a layman - would sound like a "POETRY" ;)
Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

Important....

In the second step command, i have missed a keyword "dis"...please use the following..

vxplex -g rootdg dis homevol-02 optvol-02 rootvol-02 standvol-02 swapvol-02 tmpvol-02 usrvol-02 varvol-02

Million apologies..

Senthil
Let your effort be such, the very words to define it, by a layman - would sound like a "POETRY" ;)
Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

Hi steven,

:( scrap my last 2 posts..

the corrected version of the attachment and post is this one..

Firstly, the system has booted from, /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 as the adb output suggests.
It is the second disk /dev/dsk/c2t1d0 from which it is not booted from, is the one failing.
The steps for replacing the second disk is as follows. Here I have given basic commands to
achieve it,

1) You need to disassociate the plexes associated from the second disk,

vxplex -g rootdg dis homevol-02 optvol-02 rootvol-02 standvol-02 swapvol-02 tmpvol-02 usrvol-02 varvol-02

verify the action,
vxprint -t

2) you need to delete the plexes that are disassociated now.

vxedit -g rootdg -r rm homevol-02 optvol-02 rootvol-02 standvol-02 swapvol-02 tmpvol-02 usrvol-02 varvol-02

verify the action,
vxprint -t

3) remove the second disk from the rootdg,

vxdg -g rootdg rmdisk rootdisk02

Now you can repalce the second disk, say if it is hot pluggable , u do not ahve any issues,
follow the istruction by the vendor, If it is not hotplugable, shutdown the unix box. replace
disk with the new one. Boot the machine. Now run the "ioscan -fnC disk" command. Let us assume
the device file for the new disk is the same as the repalce one. Now you can perform the mirror-
ing with the following command.

/etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir -v c2t1d0

This process might take about 20 minutes, verify it by issuing the following command.

vxprint -t

Regards,
Senthil Kumar .A
Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

If you want my online support,

Please free to contact me online with the following chat messengers,

yahoo - senthil_anantha
msn - senthil_anantha@hotmail.com
aol - senthilanantha@aim.com

regards,
Senthil
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Steven,

Senthil's detailed process is correct as is depicted in the official VxVM documents - which I think misses those tiny but important details..

Senthil, I sent you an email to those 3 addresses you posted. Please check them out.. I've a question for you.
Hakuna Matata.