108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Importing Disks from another HP box.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jake Posey_1
Occasional Advisor

Importing Disks from another HP box.

I removed 4 disk from a jamaica enclosure on a K460 to another jamacia enclosure on a different box a K460 and wanted to check the disk to see if there is anything I wanted to keep before wiping the disk. The reason I couldn't do this on the origination disk is the power supply went bad.

I created a the directory /dev/vg10 and did a mknod /dev/vg10/group c 64 0x100000 and attempted to import the disks (/dev/dsk/c5t0d0 & /dev/dsk/c5t1d0) using the following command "vgimport -v /dev/vg10 /dev/dsk/c5t0d0 /dev/dsk/c5t1d0" and got the following message Beginning the import process on Volume Group "/dev/vg10".
vgimport: Cannot open the control file "/dev/vg10/group":
No such device
I've done this servral times before and this is the first time I've gotten this error, can someone lend some assistance.
Thanx
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: Importing Disks from another HP box.

Jake,

It's probably something to do with the group file. First of all, 10 would be 0x0a0000. Secondly, what's your maxvg set to?

Pete

Pete
Marvin Strong
Honored Contributor

check your maxvgs kernel parameter. default maxvgs is 10, 100000 is larger than 10.

so 0x0a0000 would be the largest minor number you could use if maxvgs = 10
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Try this:

# rm /dev/vg10/group
# mknod /dev/vg10/group c 64 0x0a0000

You must remember that the 0x0?0000 number is in HEX, so a decimal 10 is a hexadecimal 'a'.

Otherwise your steps look good.
Jake Posey_1
Occasional Advisor

maxvgs is set to 10.
Jake Posey_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all worked like a charm.
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

If max vg's is set to 10 (DEC) then you vg10 group file of 10 (hex) is actually 16 Try, like the others have said, removing the /dev/vg10/group file and recreating it with:
mknod /dev/vg10/group c 64 0x0a0000

If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
generic_1
Respected Contributor

I think power supplies are hotswappable on Jamaica. So that would have been a easier fix.