5148 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Increasing / (root) size

TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Increasing / (root) size

Hey Pete -
Are you out there or anyone else that can answer this one?

I took Pete's advice from a March 22, 2007 thread on moving /tmp to another mount point to free up contiguous space after root to extend. I did that and everything is fine, now I need to extend root to take advantage of that space. Yes, I checked for files that shouldn't be there and everything like that and there is nothing. I have no choice but to extend root. The 200mb is not enough space to upgrade oracle 10G products and patch HP 11i products any more.

My question now is how do I actually extend root now, since I'm working in root? Do I need to log in as a single user to accomplish this or am I missing something?

Thank you for your help.
10 REPLIES 10
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Re: Increasing / (root) size

See my tip here:

http://www.met.ca/itrc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=2

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Orhan Biyiklioglu
Respected Contributor

Also check this out

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1090172

Specifically RAC's second response.

hth
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The first question is: Do you have the OnlineJFS / Advanced JFS product installed?

If so, you should be able to do:

# lvextend -L /dev/vg00/lvol3
# fsadm -b m /
# bdf /
(To verify the extend worked)

That is all that's required if Online JFS is present.

If you DO NOT have Online JFS / Advanced JFS then you should do:

1) Reboot the machine and interrupt the boot process.
2) Boot from your primary drive - 'bo pri' command
3) At the ISL prompt go into LVM maintenance mode. 'hpux -lm'
4) Once there you can hopefully extend '/' by doing:
# /sbin/lvextend -L /dev/vg00/lvol3
# /sbin/extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvol3
If it complains here because '/' is mounted, you might be out of luck.
5) Reboot the machine and let it come up in multi-user mode.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Ok, iff (if and only if) /tmp immediately follows / (ie lvol4 follows lvol3 in terms of its physical extents and all of the extents were contiguously allocated) and iff you have OnlineJFS and iff / is a vxfs filesystem then you can execute lvextend and them execute fsadm -F vxfs -b newsize to increase the size of / 'on the fly'. I can't imagine what Oracle products are in / that need to be patched that would take up any significant space.

The much smarter (and safer way) to expand root is via Ignite.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll take a look at each one on Monday. I do not have JFS.

For clarification, these products/patches do not reside in /, but when I go to install anything bigger than 75Mb now (patches or products), my disk analysis fails and states I need more space in /.
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Need Help urgently...

Was able to take the advice above and boot to single user mode and increase / that way w/no issues at all UNTIL I reboot the system. I now am in a constant loop of gsmp alerts of software failure and then it goes into an immediate dump! HELP!

HPUX 11.1
rp2400
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Do you have an Ignite backup (make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery) of your system?

At this point, using it may be the most expeditious way to recover your system.

Have you tried getting back into 'single-user mode' or 'lvm maintenance mode'? Did it work? If not, you may be facing a restore.

Other than that, without seeing the exact steps you took, their results, and the errors you are now getting, it is very difficult to offer intelligent suggestions.
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

no haven't tried single user mode. I sort of panicked. sorry, I'll try that and report back.
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

I can stop the boot process and get to the ipl> prompt, but once I try to boot to hpux -lm, it does the same thing and throws up the gsmp software failure alerts and then starts the dump process.