Operating System - HP-UX
1753464 Members
4639 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install new Ultra320/1GBe Combo card to replace existing SCSI boot adapters.

VINY
Occasional Advisor

Install new Ultra320/1GBe Combo card to replace existing SCSI boot adapters.

Guys, I need your input. I will replacing our current SCSI Adapters connected to our internal boot drives with Ultra320 SCSI/1GBe Adapters soon. The ENV is a Superdome with 4 cells (total of 7 Vpars). Each of the Vpars have there dual boot drives.

My question. Do you think the Hardware Path will change if I replace the SCSI Adapters connected to the internal boot drives?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Projects Smawjects
8 REPLIES 8
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Re: Install new Ultra320/1GBe Combo card to replace existing SCSI boot adapters.

Hi,
If you are installing same adapter in same slot there won't be any change in the hardware path. Since you are replacing the adaptor with different type mostly the hardware path will change. In that case you have boot lvm maintenance mode and do the changes. also remember to set boot paths.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Install new Ultra320/1GBe Combo card to replace existing SCSI boot adapters.

Hi Alvin,

if you are replacing the SCSI card with a combo card, I'm quite sure you will have changed HW pathes. This will affect not only the LVM configuration, but the vPars configuration too. Be aware of this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
VINY
Occasional Advisor

The boot paths are different. The new combo card has 4 ports (2 scsi and 2 1gbe). The read left to right, top to bottom in order of 0-4. Now, when only the alt boot adapter is replaced, it works! The os sees the new card u320/iether. The path changes....
To: 0/0/8/1/0/4/0.0

No device changes for /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 and lvlnboot -v is working. Then, I replace the primary card, the Vpar panics and crashes. What is the problem?

Projects Smawjects
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You have to change the boot path information and the alt bootpath information too.

Try to boot your system without vPars (the npar - ISL> "hpux /stand/vmunix") and use
vparmodify to adjust the values.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
isaac_loven
Frequent Advisor

Did you find a solution?
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

As per my understanding it's not feasible to boot via combo card???
Could some explain this...
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Alvin,

The proper way to do this are as follows:

1. If Running LVM, do a vgexport of all VGs with the VGID option (vgexport -s -m ...). Note location of your map files...

2. Shutdown all vPars and the underlying nPar.

3, Shutdown the nPar.

4. Install the Cards.

5. Boot the nPar to BCH and search for your nPar bootdisk (which usually equates to one of the vPar bootdisks)

6. Boot to ISL, aand boot to LVM maintenance mode.

7. At LVM Maint mode - "fix" your IOCONFIG (many tricks to do this.. I usually simply rename /stand/ioconfig and /etc/ioconfig and reboot once more to LVM maint mode)..

8. Fix your VG00 (vgexport..., create /dev/vg00, vgimport... you know the drill...).

9. The LAN Paths changed as well so manually edit your network whilst still in LVM maint mode.

10. Your nPar bootdisk (which is also your one of your vPar's boot disk) is done. Reboot nPar to VPMON and BOOT the vPar using the same nPar boot disk fixed earlier.

For each of the vPars remaining, Do:

11. vparboot each vPAr to LVM maintenance mode

12. Fix IOCONFIG/VG00/Networking.

13. Reboot to multi-user

14. Done.

Unfortunately.. replacing cards n vPar environments is not just as easy as you think.

Follow the above process and you'll be fine. Sorry I cannot do into any details to IOCONFIG, VG00 and LAN fixing -- which I assume you know by heart already since you are handling a 'Dome...

Peace.

Hakuna Matata.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Alvin,

Any update on this one? For the benefit of the vPar-using community - how did your replacement proceed?
Hakuna Matata.