108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrity VM rootdg corrupted after loading patches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Devin Lucas
Occasional Advisor

Integrity VM rootdg corrupted after loading patches

I am new to Integrity virtual machines, and I am trying to build a small SMS cluster of Integrity VMs on a single rx2600 server. I built the VMs' ok, and I used a separate whole disk on an attached scsi 2300 JBOD for the system disk on each VM, using VxVM as the volume manager.

Everything was running fine, until I installed the patches for Serviceguard Storage Management Suite, found at www.hp.com/go/sgsms/patches. Once I installed those patches, and rebooted my system, the rootdg of my integrity VM appears to have gotten corrupted. Now, all I get on the console is the following error message:
Disk Group has no valid configuration copies

VxVM vxconfigd ERROR V5-1-169 Disk group rootdg, Disk c0t1d0s2: Cannot auto-import group:

I tried removing the disk from Integrity VM, to see if I could import the dg on the host system, but the disk shows up as uninitialzed. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Has anyone loaded the SGSMS bundles and patches onto an Integrity VM successfully? Does anyone know how I may be able to get my VM's to boot up again without having to go through and rebuild them again?

5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe you hav ehit a known issue with a kernel patch for VxVM 4.1:
PHKL_35739
don't install this patch onto HPVM guests!
The problem is caused by enhancement in VxVM which increased maximum I/O size to 1MB, which is incompatible with HPVM V2.00 MPT emulator which supports 256kB.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Looks like this patch now recommends that 'Integrity VM
software (T2676AC) version A.03.00 is required' to prevent this problem.
Devin Lucas
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I am using the 90 day evaluation software for Integrity VM's, so I can't go to v3 right now. If I use the preceding patch, PHKL_34812, will that work? Did it also have that memory increase that kills Integrity VM's?
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Yes, looks like superseded patches PHKL_35477 and PHKL_34812 and PHKL_33510 do not have this behavior. However, I am not sure if they meet the requirements for Serviceguard Storage Management Suite or not.
Devin Lucas
Occasional Advisor

I installed PHCO_34811, PHKL_34812, and PHCO_35465, (which are all listed on http://www.hp.com/go/sgsms/patches) on my Integrity VM and VxVM appears to be working normally. I switched to an LVM boot disk, just in case, and configured other disk groups in VxVM without incident. I installed the latest patches from the remainder of that list, since most of them have been superceded, and things are still working fine. Thanks for your help. I guess that's what I get for trying to live on the bleeding edge.