Operating System - HP-UX
1753528 Members
5311 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to create 2 PV in a partitioned single Harddisk?

Guna_2
Regular Advisor

Is it possible to create 2 PV in a partitioned single Harddisk?

Hi experts,

I am new to IPF servers.

As per hpux11.11 LVM we can't create 2 PV in a single harddisk. But in IPF servers we can partition the hdd with the help of idisk cmd.

1) Can i make 4 partition istead of 3 standard partition in a boot disk? or Can i able to create 2 partition in a non-boot disk?

2) If that is possible, Can i create 2 PV's in that single harddisk itself? (like this pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2 & pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s3)

Thanks & Regards
Guna
2 REPLIES 2
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Guna,

You can take a look at these threads for more information

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=971754
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=967274

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"

As with any technical configuration on HP-UX, there are two questions to ask yourself here:

1) Is it technically possible? (i.e. will it actually work?)
2) Is it supported (i.e. when it breaks/I break it will HP support help me fix it?)

And in this case the answer are:

1) Yes absolutely it will work.

2) No, idisk is there to provide you with EFI partitions which are used only suring boot or offline diagnostics (i.e. 99% static and unused partitions). As to my knowledge HP haven't tested this configuration, I expect the response you would get if you called in with a problem in this configuration would be 'not supported'.

Why do you want to do this anyway? I can't see what benefits having 2 PVs on one physical disk would provide...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo