7548 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Issues with Mirror Disk

Trout-Bum

Issues with Mirror Disk

Hi,

Hope you guys can help.

I am just in the middle of a SAN migration.  Originally I had 23 disks that could be seen down path c10.  I then mirrored these devices to path c12.  I then ran an lvreduce to remove the devices down c10.  Unfortunately as there are so many devices to reduce I couldn’t run it from the command line.  So what I did was list all the c10 devices in a flat file and then ran a “for” statement to lvreduce the disks.

Unfortunately what has happened now is it removed the first device in the list and most of my c12 devices.  I say most because when I do an lvdisplay, there are no mirrored copies, but I am left with a mixture of c10 and c12 devices as the primary devices.

How can I get back to where I was with the primary devices as c10 and all the mirrored copies being c12?  Is it a question of running a vgcfgrestore from my good configuration?

Thanks in advance.

S.

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Issues with Mirror Disk

>Unfortunately as there are so many devices to reduce I couldn't run it from the command line.

(For next time.)  The command line can be continued and can have millions of bytes.  Unfortunately the shell editing may limit it to 256 bytes.  In that case list them in a script.

>what I did was list all the c10 devices in a flat file and then ran a “for” statement to lvreduce the disks.

You can do a for-loop or you can insert the whole file:

lvreduce ... $(< list-of-volumes)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Issues with Mirror Disk

Mirror all LVOLS that resides on c10 to c12, then remove the mirror from c10.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!