108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: JFS upgrade issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Meyer_4
Respected Contributor

JFS upgrade issues

This is an issues that has probably been discussed a log time ago, but I've not been able to locate any of the older threads about it.

In my research, I've discovered that there were issues with upgrading JFS from version 3.3 to version 3.5. The name change of the product from HP OnlineJFS/JFS 3.5 to VERITAS File System 3.5 lends to some of the confusion, but one line in the installation guide has alarmed me. It reads: "Installing VxFS does not remove the JFS or OnlineJFS packages; however, their functions are disabled.

So the questions I put out to the forum are;

1. How does this product impact my existing LVM structures and their maintenance procedures?

2. what are teh issues to be considered when performing this upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the much appreciated assistance.

/alan/
" I may not be certified, but I am certifiable... "
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

You must take care because there is a Base Veritas filesystem that comes will all HP-UX boxes and the Advanced or Online Veritas Filesystem which is the equivalent to OnlineJFS. As long as you have the advanced version then nothing will change other than having more more options than you had with the older version. One of the main "gotcha's" is that filesystems created under 3.5 will not be mountable under older versions of vxfs. This might be of concern to you if you need to export a volume group from one system and import it on another.
However, systems with version 3.5 are able to import older versions without problems. This means that should you need to export/import filesystems across such systems, you should create the filesystems on the older versions.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Alan Meyer_4
Respected Contributor

Just to clarify, you are referring only to the export/import of volume groups? This should not affect shared NFS filesystems?

This also means that all ServiceGuard nodes in a cluster need to be on the same version, correct?

/alan/
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Yes, when I say export/import I am referring to vgexport/vgimport in LVM or the equivalent under VxVM --- as opposed to NFS exports.

When you say version under SG, I assume that you mean OnlineJFS version rather than SG version. Obviously, the only time nodes in a SG cluster should differ in SG versions is during a rolling upgrade and then only briefly. It isn't strictly necessary that all the nodes in the cluster be on the same version of JFS but it is necessary that any filesystems be created using the oldest version of JFS so that all nodes could mount the filesystem. On the other hand, it's rather state-of-the-art stupid not to have all the nodes running the same version of JFS. It's one less way for surprises to occur.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Alan Meyer_4
Respected Contributor

agreed... thank you very much.

/alan/