108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LVM - JFS Online - VxVM and Tivoli

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Moody_1
Regular Advisor

LVM - JFS Online - VxVM and Tivoli

We current use LVM and Mirrordisk/UX on a collection of rp boxes 74**/54**/34**/24**

My tivoli administrator wants me to move to Veritas Volume Manager to give him more options. From what I've read, I think I'd prefer to avoid VxVM, and maybe go stick with LVM and upgrade to JFS On-line and use Ignite to compliment Tivoli. However as Sys Admin is new to me I need to build a case to explain my gut feeling.

The searches I've done for comparisons are all from 2003, any info that is more recent and moves the game on. Anyone backing up HP-UX with Tivoli.

Anybody? Anything?
A sobering thought: What if, right at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?
3 REPLIES 3
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: LVM - JFS Online - VxVM and Tivoli

Andrew,

I wish I could give you something more concrete, but I will share my gut feeling that HP is backing away from pushing VxVM. Initially it looked like they were headed toward replacing LVM totally but there now seems to be a lot less emphasis on VxVM.

It kind of reminds me of their "move" from CDE to Gnome.

Pete

Pete
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Andrew,

we use both sorts of volume managers (however on different vendor platforms e.g. FSC+Solaris+VxVM vs. HP+HP-UX+LVM) together with Tivoli Storage Manager (also with the TIVsm API plug-in for Informix).
This works well with both volume managers and from my point of view I would see no justifiable reason why he should force you to transit to VxVM, if it's only for the extra options he has got with VxVM.
However, a lurking thread from IBM to discontinue support could well change the situation.
This is how our Tivoli admin always "persuades" us to upgrade the Tivoli clients.
Madness, thy name is system administration
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

We backup about 6 systems using Tivoli. The only problem I have is backing up the Oracle Database. Because we chose to not buy the plugin. We exclude the Oracle mount points.
Use RMAN to put the data to Disk. Tivoli backs up the rman data.

I have succeffully recovered everything including databases using Tivoli.

I can't think of any reason why I would want to change the Volume Manger, for the purpose of backing up the data. Unless maybe you would want to snapshot the data and then backup the snapshot.
The answer would be:
How much does it cost to go to VxVM?
If Oracle (for me) how much does the plug cost?
Who much does it cost for Diskspace to do RMAN backup?

Is this a nice to have or a got to have?

I would recommend you always have an Ignite tape backup for the Root VG. (I am assuming that the Tivoli software is stored in the Root VG under /opt.) If you should loose your system. I would restore the Root VG from Ignite, and then use Tivoli to recover the all the changes.

Rory
There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right