New Discussion

LVM and VxVM Co-existence on 11i Systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: LVM and VxVM Co-existence on 11i Systems

Jeff.. Thanks..

I'll just probably carve up small LUNS from our XP/EVA to serve as my rootDG in the meantime although I really see no issues/instabilities having rootdg contain a pair or 2 of SCSI disks and have 1 or more SWAP volume in them.

Those that already have some form of PATHING software ie. SecurePath on EVAs or AutoPath for XP arrays -- you don't need Ful VxVM. The Base VxVM will actually be sufficient already since you will not need any of the RAID or DMP features at all. Online shrinkage/increases is already supported with Base VxVM plus striping is already there..

BTW,

I just got confirmation from Veritas support that VxVM/VxFS 3.5 (aka Foundation Suite 3.5) will remain as is (no more upgrades?) on 11.11 (11i v1.0) environments. Storage Foundation 4.1 will be released on HP-UX 11i v 2.0 (11.23) environments I was told and this is sometime middle to Q3 of 2005 - probably to coincide with releases for Solaris, AIX , Windows and Linux environments. HP-UX 11.23 (PARISC/Itanic) with the Cluster VxVM/VxFS (MCOE?) probably Q3/Q5 of 2005.
Hakuna Matata.
Chris Huys_2
Occasional Advisor

Re: LVM and VxVM Co-existence on 11i Systems

Hi Nelson,
> Chris...

> The mirror synchs/resynchs on VxVM are
> sequential? I don'nt think so.
Youre right. The resyncs of the volumes in the same diskgroup can be done in parallel.

Greetz,
Chris