Can any one specify the command for recognizing the faild emc pvlink in hp-ux
Live free or die!
6 REPLIES 6
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: LVM command to recognize failed emc pvlink

Hello,

if a particular PV link has failed, it should be displayed as NO_HW in ioscan output.

# ioscan -fnC disk

search for NO_HW state disks, then locate respective raw device file for each failed disk. Should look like this:

/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ

If you have EMC command line interface installed, you can run the following command to get the device id to which the failed PVlink belongs:

# symdev -sid list | grep

e.g.

# symdev -sid 800 list | grep c1t2d3

If you are using LVM, you can check output of vgdisplay to find out which volume group that disk belongs to:

# vgdisplay -v

Hope this helps,
J.

Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

#ioscan -fnC disk |grep NO should tell you which hardware path is failed. If you want to know the EMC LUN id, then.

powermt display dev=all |grep cXtXdX (provided you have EMC powerpath license).

symdev show will give you that particular device details.

Good luck
Shahul
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

If powerpath is being used, you will not see the NO_HW when you do the ioscan.

powerpath will make the downed path look good to ioscan by redirecting the I/O to a good path.

If powerpath is being used, you'll need to use the 'powermt display dev=..' command.
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Bill,

I guess the question was about PVlinks, which clearly tells which multipathing method is in use.

Using PVlinks does not make much sense when PowerPath is available.

J.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

"emc pvlinks" could be a few different things. There are different EMC systems.

I'll assume for a second you are using powerpath, with disks hooked up over multiple paths using two fibre switches.

Run man page on powermt.
If you run "powermt display every=5" you will see if any disks (correction: disk PATHS) are dead. Perhaps they are NOT dead. Perhaps it is a fibre cable, or something wrong on EMC? Go into Navisphere gui interface over the web. If you log in there and there is a problem it will tell you. You'll have an icon on upper right side of the web page with a the word "WARNING" on it.

Meanwhile......
Let's say you did in fact lose a disk and got it fixed. The system might not see it. When the system was first set up here, we ran a test failure. One thing we noticed was a 5 minute delay on the system recognizing the disk paths.

I had to run this....(LOOK AT THE MAN PAGE)
powermt check
powermt config
powermt save
powermt set config=co

These commands might not apply to you. You might not even have the powermt command. The command setting config=co might be the LAST thing you want to do. I was told to do this with my Clariion CX300.

.....I have a much better idea. Get with EMC.
Unix Team_9
Regular Advisor

Thanks
Live free or die!