108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LVM mirroring and workstation

SOLVED
Go to solution
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

LVM mirroring and workstation

I read in Mirrordisk/UX documentation that mirroring can be done only on HP-ux 800 series server and is not supported on 9000 workstations ( 700 series)

I have a B1000 visualize workstation with 2 internal LVD scsi disks and 11i hp-ux
Can I use LVM to do internal mirroring of the disk.
I cant logically understand why it wont work if 800 series can support it.

Is there any underlying lower level LVM issues with 700 series workstations ???

Thanks
martin
4 REPLIES 4
Stf
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hello,

No it's wrong mirror disk works on workstation, I already experiment it on HPUX 11.00 on a C3000 vizualize workstation...

Stf ;-)
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi martin,

I agree - I use Mirror-UX and OnLine JFS on 700 series all the time.
Just need the licenses straight - that's all.
Most all this will install...only problem sometimes is "official" support.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

In the past (10.20 and older versions), 700 and 800 software came from different sources and was not always provided for both platforms. Starting with 11.0, the code base became integrated, but as has always been the case with software distributor packages (ie, swinstall), the package directives may prevent installation of incompatible packages. This is especially true of low-level code that must be I/O-aware, that is, understand features of specific I/O adapters. LVM (and Mirror/UX) is low level code that is likely sensitive to the very different I/O hardware among workstations and servers.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

Hi martin,

You definatley can mirror workstation disks with mirrordisc/ux. I have done many installs without problem.
Just make sure you get the correct version licence (700s) and install the codeword first then this will allow the software to be installed.
you were'nt reading docs that came with the 800s version where you?
They are different versions and the licenceing works in a different way for servers to workstation.

Andy