4661 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LVM mirroring issue

Fenny_1
Super Advisor

LVM mirroring issue

Hi all!
Im facing this problem while doin LVM mirroring could any1 guide me to solve this issue.

i've changed my Allocation policy to PVG-strict by issuin the following command:
#lvchange -s g /dev/vgdata/lvol1

After doin that i hv create a /etc/lvmpvg file contain the following etries

VG /dev/vgdata
PVG eva01
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0
PVG ev02
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0

After doin that when i verifiedir thru vgdisplay -v vgdata command. and PVG entries are there.

Now when im trying to mirror the two disks with lvextend. Im facing the following error:

# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vgdata/lvol1 eva01 eva02
lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vgdata/lvol1" could not be extended.

Kindly let me know, if im not using the proper syntax for lvextend command or theres some other issue in it.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Byee

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I assume the /dev/vgdata/lvol1 is already configured? Does it reside on the disk in eva01 or eva02?

If the LV already exists on the disk in eva01, then try this:

# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vgdata/lvol1 eva02

or just try:

# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vgdata/lvol1

If you don't specify any disks, LVM should pick the correct disk from the correct PVG.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

When PVG-Strict allocation is inforce, mirrors of a logical extent cannot share the same physical volume group. The "not enough free physical extents available" message means that pool of free entents is not allocated in a fashion that satisfies the PVG-strict allocation policy. This is not unexpected if you set the policy after the logical volume was originally allocated.

Do a 'vgdisplay -v vgNN' to see if you have enough free extents on both physical volumes and 'lvdisplay -v /dev/vgNN/lvolX' to see the current distribution of physical extents across them.

Regards!

...JRF...
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

HI BYEE
1, show me result of vgdisplay
#vgdisplay /dev/vgdata
2, show contents of /etc/lvmpvg
#cat /etc/lvmpvg
after review you result, I will give you solution.
tienna
HP is simple