New Discussion юеВ

LVM stripping ---VA7110

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rgomes
Valued Contributor

LVM stripping ---VA7110

Hi All,

How can I stipe lvols under VA7110? Using HPUX 11.23 and MC/SG. The VGs will be in cluster.

Thanks and regards,
Richard
6 REPLIES 6
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LVM stripping ---VA7110

Hi,
I am not sure I understand you correct. The LUNs in the diak array is already striped across all disks. I can see no meaning with striping again with the LVM.
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Richard,

Leif is absolutely right, the VA7xxx Arrays internally stripe across all disks in a so-called redundancy group. So setup is very easy. Create a LUN of the desired size and use this single LUN in a vg.

Regards,
Bernhard
Rgomes
Valued Contributor

Hi Lief and Mueller,

OK, I understand now.
But, will it be a good idea to create 2 LUNs in different RG per VG for IO speration?

For cluster VGs, should I create lvols with strict allocation policy?

Thanks a lot for your replies,
Richard
Seth Kaplan
Advisor

Richard,

I posed a similar question some time ago. I usually create two luns one on each RG. Essentially this is a manual method for load balancing across the HBA's and VA controllers. After creating the PV's and VG I'll run lvcreate -i 2 -I stripedepth -L size in MB -n lvolname /dev/vgxx. The stripedepth depends on what you're putting on the lv. For filesystems I believe the default is 64k. I use 4k for our Informix db chunks.

Seth
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As others have responded the Disks are already striped in VA7110 (AutoRAID). If you still want to stripe it across the RGs you can make use of LVM striping.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Rgomes
Valued Contributor

Thank you all!

richard