1748104 Members
4498 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Locating a failed disk.

Adam Winebaugh
Regular Advisor

Locating a failed disk.

Anyone, I apologize for this being so general. But I have a HP 9000 running hp-ux 11.11 with a 2400 disk system SAN attached. If I have a failed disk. like the one below. How would I go about locating which disk on the SAN is the bad one?

/dev/dsk/c28t7d3 /dev/rdsk/c28t7d3
disk 314 1/8/0/0.97.4.19.0.7.4 sdisk NO_HW DEVICE HP A6189A

7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Locating a failed disk.

If the disk is functioning at all, you can run dd against it (dd if=/dev/rdsk/c28t7d3 of=/dev/null bs=1024k) and check the lights. If it's not functioning, look for the one with no lights blinking.

Pete

Pete
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Adam,

Looks like you have a VAdiskarray.

Check /var/adm/syslog/(OLD)syslog.log if there were any lvm/vxvm/scsi related errors logged lately.

If there are, it could have 2 possibilities.

1. sysadmin error.

1.a. Someone removed accidently/ on purpose (the lun wasnt needed) a lun of the va.
With commands like.

#armdsp -i
(which will give the SN#)

#armdsp -a SN#

#armdsp -r? ..

1.b. someone accidently changed the zoning config

check the zone config on youre brocade sanswitches

2. real hardware errors.

2.a. or a san hardware problem

check youre switches/zoning on the switches (could also again be due

2.b. or a va hardware problem

check the va diskarray config

(however if the va is in standard va "autoraid mode" you would need allready to have at least 2 disks "broken" before you would have hardware problems..)

#armdsp -i
(which will give the SN#)

#armdsp -a SN#

is a good start for that.

Have fun. ;)

Greetz,
Chris
Adam Winebaugh
Regular Advisor

Pete, there is the issue. I have several with no lights, but only one bad disk. The system has always been like that. Some of the disks have lights and some don't even have the lights. Other than the lights is there a way to identify which disk in the san is the bad one?
Adam Winebaugh
Regular Advisor

Chris,
Thanks for the info, but I have already confirmed this is in fact a bad disk. I just need to know which disk is the bad one on the san.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I wonder if you pulled the disks one at a time, would ioscan then show NO_HW for that disk??? Worth a try, maybe.

Pete

Pete
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Adam Winebaugh
Regular Advisor

Tim,
Thanks for the form, but it doesn't particularly help. I have several disks with no light activity even when I run the ioscan.

hmmm I think the only solution is to try something like what Pete is suggesting and just pull them one at a time until I find the one that doesn't change the ioscan output. Just thought maybe there was a command I was not aware of. Thanks Gang!