3879 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Maintenance Mode hpux 11.31 rx2800 i2

vazjuanp
Advisor

Maintenance Mode hpux 11.31 rx2800 i2

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting into mointenance mode on an rx2800 i2. It has installed hpux 11.31. 

The steps I'm following are:

- Reboot (shutdown -ry 0)

- Interrupt autoboot (by pressing any key when loading the vmunix)

- Get into maintenance mode (when you get the HPUX prompt, I've tried hpux -ma, hpux -is, hpux -im)

I'm quite confuse so if anyone can help me it would be great!

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Maintenance Mode hpux 11.31 rx2800 i2

At the HPUX prompt try: boot vmunix -is

vazjuanp
Advisor

I believe that is single user, I need maintenance mode so I can extend the lvol3. I don't have OnlineJFS

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Try:

boot -lm vmunix

or

boot vmunix -lm

Why do you need to extend lvol3?  That is the '/' mountpoint and MUST be contiguous. You will have to move LVOL4 out of the way before extending lvol3.

LVOL3 normally should not change much and should not have much data in it.  One system I have has about 500 MB assiend to lvol3 but is only using about 50MB.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As Patrick said, lvol3 (which is normall the / mountpoint) never needs to be extended in a properly managed system. The problem is that badly written software and installers will refuse to use industry standard locations such as /opt for software. Or novice admins and DBAs will store data starting in / rather than /var or in a specific location. When / fills up, something is incorrect and wrong thing to do is to extend /.

Start troubleshooting with du to locate the big directories (don't start with big files):

du -kx / | sort -rn | head -20

The biggest directory (/) will be first followed by the next two largest directories, /etc and /sbin). Anything else in the top 3 needs to be moved or cleaned up. FOr instance, /dev is way at the bottom (just a few KB) UNLESS some root user misspelled a tape device file and all the backup data filled /dev/rmt...something. Once you find a suspiciously large directory, sort the contents by size:

ll /suspicious_dir | sort -nk5

The largest files are at the bottom of the list. If none of the files are large (just a few MB or less), there may be thousands of files there (wrong for the / mountpoint), or there may be a subdirectory that is very large.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin