5463 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Max LV Size?

DavidJ
Regular Advisor

Max LV Size?

System HP-UX 11.23
Guru's, I cannot create LV greater than 1TB on the above system, keep on getting the following error:
The size entered exceeds the allowable limit that can be used with this type of file system. The size has been rounded down to the nearest multiple of 128 Mbytes (the physical extent size) that does not exceed the limit.

Is this is OS limitation? Not from what I read, I'm now very confused... can someone please clarify this for me?

TIA
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
9 REPLIES 9
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi David:

You don't offer details. A 1TB logical volume on 11.23 should be attainanble; see:

http://docs.hp.com/en/6054/LVM_Limits_White_Paper_V4.pdf

Is your error coming when you create the _filesystem_?

Regards!

...JRF...
DavidJ
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the quick replies, as always :-),

Yes I read the document you are refering too yet This error keeps slapping me in the face.

James, I get the error when creating the lv and specifying the LV size. The system then rounds the size DOWN to 1TB, I am only trying to allocate 1.2TB.
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi David,

Can you give me the exact command which you run and the error you get ...(cp and paste from the console)

Check the LVM Limits whitepaper..
DavidJ
Regular Advisor

Logical Volume: LV_NAMR
Volume Group: VG_NAME
Space Available in Volume Group (Mbytes): 76544
Current Logical Volume Size (Mbytes): 1048448
New Size (Mbytes): 1124900

When I then select "OK" I get the error.

P.S. This is done from SAM.

Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

If you donot have datas in the LV just delete it and create a new one..

I could see 92MB is different

1124900 New Size
1048448 Current LV Size
--------
--------
76544 Free Space
--------

If you need to extend it more than 2TB I think you dont have space...

DavidJ
Regular Advisor

MJ,

I am NOT trying to allocate 2TB, just trying to create 1.1TB f/s but cannot allocate more than "current lv size" and not the 1124992 that I have available.
DavidJ
Regular Advisor

Gents,

This seems to be a SAM issue, I deleted everything and redid it from the command line and all space allocated to the LV.

Thanks for the help.