108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrate Volume Groups from 11.0 to 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
venven
Occasional Contributor

Migrate Volume Groups from 11.0 to 11.11

We are planning to replace a HP/UX 11.0 server with a HP/UX 11.11 server. Both servers are SAN attached.

I am looking at assigning the existing Luns to the new host, vgexport on old host and do a vgimport on new host.

Is this feasible since i'm going from 11.0 to 11.11? ( My guess is: it should be ok since this is similar to an upgrade)

If it's ok, any LVM limitation/patch issues that i need to be worried about...

Anyone done this and like to share their experience?

Thanks in Advance.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Your process is fine. Your vgimports will work just fine. Before doing this, I would make sure that you have the 11.11 box patched up to the latest QPK and check for LVM/VxFS patches. You should note that going the other direction (from 11.11 to 11.0) may or may not work depending upon the vxfs version levels but the 11.0 to 11.11 direction always works.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

The process you had mentioned will work since we had done this same exercise 6 months back and it was fine.

Rgds

HGN
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Ven,

if you are not going to re-use the vgs on any 11.0 host you may consider running vxupgrade -n 4 /mnt_point for any filesystem imported on the 11.11 machine.

11.0 by default uses layout version 3
11.11 by default version 4

Regards
Bernhard
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As indicated above this works fine without changes. Allthough if you do not plan to revert back then upgrade file systems to newer vxfs layout.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"