7205 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mirror-UX assistance

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

LVM Mirroring is done at the logical volume level. No reboot occurs or is necessary. You simply use 'lvextend -m ...' to perform the change (add or subtract mirrors).

Yes, the synchronization is a bit intensive and is time-consuming. You can monitor the progress with:

# lvdisplay -v /dev/vgNN/lvolX|grep stale|wc -l

...when the count of "stale" extents reaches zero (0) your mirrors are synchronized.

Regards!

...JRF...
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

just wanted to congratulate all speedy people that i saw in reply list before i replying :)
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
TKeller
Frequent Advisor

Before I close this thread and give the raiding a go, I'd like to make sure of the script that's involved.

Is it the one attached on this post?
It is said you should treat your body like a temple. I treat mine like an amusement park.
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

How about closing the thread after you've given it a go? You don't have to close it on the same day you open it! (Or even at all ;-))

Mark
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

After you get the mirror software figured out. you use shell script to mirror yor disk.

To lvextend the mirror:

#for lvol in lvol1 lvol2 ... lvol8
>do
>lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/ $lvol /dev/dsk/c#t#d#
>done

Sp
TKeller
Frequent Advisor

Alright, I think I've pretty much finished everything with the help of everyone's assistance. Using the script that was provided, everything went off without a hitch and took about 15 minutes total.

My final questions are as follows, just to clarify.

1) Given the link below, they mention about how MWC needs to be off for primary swap. Is there a performance hit if it remains on until I can reboot at a later time and change it? Also, Bob Vance's reply in that link talks about mkboot only copying default LIF files and not all of them. Is his lifcp necessary?

2) Given that lvdisplay on all of vg00's lvs shows that mirror copies is 1, if the original drive (/dev/dsk/c2t1d0) dies, am I correct in stating that the other drive (/dev/dsk/c3t0d0, holding the mirrored lvs) will keep the OS running until I get another drive to hot-swap and resync?

Once again, thanks for everyone's help. Inheriting a primary "absolutely can't go down" server that only has 1 drive makes me really want to make sure everything is stabilized!
It is said you should treat your body like a temple. I treat mine like an amusement park.
TKeller
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all..this has definitely been a good experience and I'm glad to say all is good and everything's successful. Now to test as soon as possible.
TKeller
Frequent Advisor

Great documentation and help from members.