New Discussion юеВ

Mirror and striping.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pippo_9
Frequent Advisor

Mirror and striping.

Hi folks.

Does HP-UX support mirror and striping at the same time?

Is it possible to do that?

Thanks

Juan
13 REPLIES 13
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Mirror and striping.

No, you can't have true LVM Striping and mirroring with LVM (combining -i -I and -m options to lvcreate).

What you can have is Distributed striping along with mirroring. With distributed striping your "stripe" size is the same size as the PE size you set up the VG with. With distributed striping you use the '-D y' option with lvcreate. You must also set up Physical Volume Groups (PVG) the Distributed striping "stripes" across all disks in the PVG. You would then set up your mirror with the PVG-strict option (-m 1 -s g with lvcreate).
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I forgot to add -- Have a look at the lvcreate man page for more information on the Distributed striping options.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Juan,

See the man page for "lvcreate", in particular the -i stripes and -m mirror_copies options.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Juan,

Actually, for a better explanation, see Patrick's response(s) above!

Pete

Pete
Lorenzo Facello
Valued Contributor

No, you can't... but what you are going to do?
Pippo_9
Frequent Advisor

Guys,

I know that 11.00 supports "pseudo-striping".
I wonder if it is the same on 11i

Paco
Helen French
Honored Contributor

This question has been answered so many times in the forums. Do a search on ITRC and you will get lot of good answers.

To answer your question, you cannot have both mirroring and striping at the same time. But if you want to use Distributed striping (with option -D y), you can use it with mirroring.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

To the last question: Yes, HP-UX 11.11 version supports pseudo striping.

# man lvcreate (for details)
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

HI Juan,

As already mentioned, it's not possible with LVM. You can do extent level striping/mirroring but that doesn't qualify as striping and mirroring. Here the stripe size is equal to your extent size which in most cases is 4MB. A stripe size of that big is not useful. Ofcourse it may be slightly better than non-striped LVs.

You will need to use VxVM (Veritas Volume Manager) which is a completely different realm.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try