Operating System - HP-UX
1753717 Members
4607 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MirrorDisk/UX How long to build a mirrored set?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Short
Super Advisor

MirrorDisk/UX How long to build a mirrored set?

I have a client that is planning to move off of direct attached storage to SAN attached. They would like to use MirrorDisk/UX to mirror from device to device. The thing is, they would like some idea as to how long it may take to accomplish. Does anyone have a reference that may provide a rough estimate of how long it takes to mirror a fixed amount of data? I'd like to use it to roughly estimate the time required to get the job done.
I am not looking for exact numbers, just a rough estimate.

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: MirrorDisk/UX How long to build a mirrored set?

This is based on the throughput of network (copper vs fiber), disk throughput, IO throughput in general, system load, etc.

Lots of variables. Can get a rough estimate by doing a couple of medium sized files (say, 2 GB in size) and extrapolating the time from that.
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Mirror disk is good for mirroring root disk. The mirroring of the data you access from SAN, is mirrored on SAN itself and it can be set to do diff. raid levels. The SAN provides hardware mirroring and is quite fast in camparsion to the mirror disk (software mirroring)

So depending upon what SAN you connect, set your raid levels and SAN itself takes care of mirroring the data.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Joe,
too many factors:
1. Are you syncing within the SAN or talking about initial transfer from direct storage to SAN?
2. Disk speed and network transfer speed.
Can you please clarify.
Regards
eran maor
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe

doing the mirror dep. on how much data you have on the disk .

you need to understand that mirrorDisk/UX is Mirroring onlt logical volume and not disk .

so the commands are to do pvcreate on the disk , vgextend the disk and to run the lvextend -m command .

i did a mirror of 8 logical volume with 40 g.b and it took me 2 hours , but i was working with kinston system , just to see a sample of much it will take to mirror your system.

eran maor
love computers
Joe Short
Super Advisor

I am synching from a direct attached 1GB fiber channel array to a SAN attache 2GB fiber channel storage.
I need to provide a general scope so I can estimate the time needed and cost of my time.
I do not need exact numbers, just a rough enough estimate to show some sort of value/price.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I would set up a test - then measure the time it takes to mirror.

There are way too many factors to estimate...you are looking at minutes to hours - depending on the amount of data - if you are going to do multiple mirros at the same time...etc...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Joe Short
Super Advisor

A test is not possible. I need to price the job, and win it before I can get to the environment.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

How much data?

We did some mirroring in a recent san migration - took around 8 hours for about 2 TB...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Joe Short
Super Advisor

Geoff, was that on a single server or several? I have 3 servers here, and am still waiting to get the total storage figures and how it is assiggned to the servers from the client.