Operating System - HP-UX
1753785 Members
7301 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MirrorDisk/UX How long to build a mirrored set?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: MirrorDisk/UX How long to build a mirrored set?

Joe,
the figures so far:
eran 40Gb in 2 hrs
Geoff 2Tb in 8 hrs
So you can see no valid estimate is possible.

If you are going to use mirroring to get the data from direct storage to SAN, does it matter how long it takes,as the disks are going to be available at all times and the SAN disk will stay in sync after the copy.
Or am I missing something?
Regards
Joe Short
Super Advisor

It only matters in the proposal the client wants. They want to know about how long it will take and how much it will cost for me to do.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

It was a single server - and it was done on the weekend - when the database was quiet - but not down...there was no other activity going on the "new" frame....
Your results may vary :)

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

UPDATE - just found the old log - we split the job in two - did 1TB first - then the 2nd after - sequentially - so it actually took almost 16 hours....

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Joe - have them supply the sustained throughput of the DAS, without You're just getting Yourself into trouble, because they'll be able to hold You responsible if they have errors in their setup. That's sheer madness.

To give You a rough indicator - calculate 75% protocol speed for the DAS, the SAN side should be much faster, unless of course it's shared between many highly loaded hosts.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Also have a look at the second reply in this thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=811185
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Joe Short
Super Advisor

Well, I'll just guestimate at about 40GB per hour, and hope for the best.
At least I can put some numbers on paper.