Operating System - HP-UX
1753856 Members
6979 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MirrorDisk/UX and another Server

Stefan Kwiatkowski

MirrorDisk/UX and another Server

I have mirrored my boot disk and all its associated logical volumes (done). Now I
want to break off the mirror and stick it in another server (standby). Simply pulling out the mirror and placing it in my standby server will not boot. I get system crash messages and never get to boot.
HP/UX 11.00 & Mirror Disk/UX on D220 servers
"Change is Constant"
6 REPLIES 6
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

get to the isl prompt and type :-

hpux -lq /stand/vmunix
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

btw, the machines had better be pretty similiar as far as hardware goes. Like don't try it between K-class and V-class etc. Or even a small to a large K-Class.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

The problem you have with this method is the data on the mirror disk still knows about the primary disk back on the original server, and that is where primary swap is (was). This is not the correct way to use an existing disk to clone another (ie. use it as a boot disk permanantly on another server). If you are desperate just to get the other server up try booting into lvm maintenance mode (hpux -lm) and then activate vg00 and mount -a and then go to multiuser mode (init 3) - but this is not a permanent solution.

There are 2 ways to create a 'cloned or mirrored' boot disk and use it to boot another server;
1. use ignite. Make a tape backup of the original disk and then put the tape into the new server and boot from it and restore to the disk there. This is the preferred method.
2. use dd to make a copy of your existing disk, then you can move the disk to another server and boot off it ok. To do this first destroy your mirror, then dd the boot disk to the new disk; dd if=/dev/rdsk/cxxxxx of=/dev/rdsk/cxxxxx bs=1024k
Then move the new disk to the new server and it should boot aok.

Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

It is not the best practice, since most components on the new server are not the same as the older one. Use Ignite_net_recover to do some of these tricks.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

You want to split the mirror, take a physical disk and boot it in another machine?
Do you have the same hardware configuration (the same physical path to the physical devices in both machines?
If yes, you can make it work.
If you have a pre-installed OS on the second machine, that suppoed you have a dummy disk there, you can try to use vgexport/vgimport.
In the first machine, run vgexport -m mapfile -p -v -s (that will create just the mapfile of the vg, not really exported). Get a way to get the mapfile file in the second box (ftp, tar/cpio/fbackup to the tape and restore, whatever).
Do the vgimport. Modify the /etc/fstab.
It is a hard way but maybe work...
If you do not have the disk with OS in the second machine, go to the second machine (isolated from the network) and boot from the cdrom. Run fsck in the disk
Try to boot it.

But the best way is to use Ignite. Do a search for Ignite in the formum and you'll find more than enough info about.
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Provided you have followed the correct procedures for creating a bootable mirrored root disk then
ISL> hp-ux -lq

should work (providing there were only two disks in the original vg00). Did you test boot from the mirror on the original server?