6152 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MirrorDisk/UX questions......

Stefan Beelen
Occasional Contributor

MirrorDisk/UX questions......

Hi,

For the moment I am busy by testing a rx2600 server with MirrorDisk/UX (B2491BA)software installed on it. Because I 've no expereince with this product I was looking for some descriptions about the possibilities of this product, but I did yet found the things I was looking for, so I come again to this forum.

I 've installed MirrorDisk/UX succesfully over
two pv's. When I looked with sam and lvlnboot -v everything looked fine.

lvlnboot -v
Boot Definitions for Volume Group /dev/vg00:
Physical Volumes belonging in Root Volume Group:
/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s2 (0/1/1/0.1.0) -- Boot Disk
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s2 (0/1/1/0.0.0) -- Boot Disk
Boot: lvol1 on: /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s2
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s2
Root: lvol3 on: /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s2
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s2
Swap: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s2
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s2
Dump: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s2, 0

I was booted on /dev/dsk/c2t1d0, Then I pulled out the boot disk on the fly. The system was still running, but when I executed sam LVM-commands, like lvlnboot -v, the system was not responding. Other commands like ls, top, bdf,..., applications were no problem.

Then I putted back the boot disk in the system, the activity leds on the disk were flashing contstantly, but the system was not accessible anymore.

I waited 15 minutes but without any result. Then I did a power OFF by using the webconsole.

I tried to boot with only disk /dev/dsk/c2t1d0 in the system, but the system was constantly crashing during the boot. So I made again a power off by using the webconsole. Then I booted with only disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0, the system booted normally. Then I maded a shutdown putted both disks in the system and booted again on disk /dev/dsk/c2t1d0. The system was booting nice and when the system was booted completely, the mirror configuration came okay automatically.

Now is my question, is there somebody who can tell what I can or may expect from this product. When we have a (boot)diskfailure on the system, is it possible to change the (boot)disk on the fly or must we do a planned shutdown to replace the disk.. etc.... ?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Stefan
3 REPLIES 3
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hoi Stefan,

Could you please cut and paste this question to the HPUX forum on the ITRC side of the forum (link is below). The question you have is a LVM question, I don't think it is bound to itanium hardware.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=117

I'm one of the few (ITRC-HPUX members) who frequently visits this side of the forum :-)

Kind regards,
Robert-Jan
Stefan Beelen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert-Jan,

I found already the answer on my questions on http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpv39181.

In the future I 'll take attention in which forum I 'll put the question.

Regards,

Stefan
CA486125
Valued Contributor

The wolves over on the other side of the house eat questions like these for breakfast. Put it up there and you'll have an answer in 15 minutes complete with step by step instructions.