1753947 Members
7208 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mounting vxvm/vxfs disks/fs from Solaris on HP-UX

Marek Bzura

Mounting vxvm/vxfs disks/fs from Solaris on HP-UX

Hi,

I've been asked by customer if it is possible to import vxvm disk/disk groups and mount filesystems from Solaris to Integrity/HP-UX.
Assuming, that vxvm and vxfs versions are at the same level. They just would like to move some Oracle databases from SUN/Solaris to Integrity/HP-UX.
I've read about Cross Data Sharing feature in vxvm, but this is extra licensed feature, so customer ask if it's possible without it.

Thanks for advices,
Marek.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Mounting vxvm/vxfs disks/fs from Solaris on HP-UX

>> I've read about Cross Data Sharing feature in vxvm, but this is extra licensed feature, so customer ask if it's possible without it.

CDS is absolutely required to do this, I guess no-one would ever buy CDS if it was possible without it!

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Marek Bzura

Thanks for reply.
I was afraid to hear such info...
It reasonable to charge lot of $$ for feature allowing to permanently use same volumes accross different OS/plaforms.
I was just hoping that there is chance to do it just once without buying CDS or transfering data.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

CDS comes with your Full VxVM Enablement. HP-UX 11.31 should already have the Basic VxVM Suite but I can't recall if CDS is there. (do a vxlicrep and it will show you).

Anyway, VxVM/VxFS is truly awesome in doing migrations from UNIX to Linux or UNIX to UNIX of different dialects. We've done it in our massive move of Databases from HP-UX to Linux. It does Endian conversion which was impt since HP-UX is Big Endian and Linux is a differnte Endian.

Solaris to HP-UX may be already the the same Endianness -- read man pages for "fscdsconv" please - there is even an example for Solaris there.

Anyway -- here's my recipe to do Linux to UNIX and vice versa:

UNIX to LINUX:

On UNIX:
1.) Unmount the filesystem on UNIX.
root# umount /vxfloater1

2.) Do the Endian Conversion or CDS conversion so filesystem on top of the volume is ├в mountable ├в r/w├в on Linux.
root# /opt/VRTS/bin/fscdsconv -e -t os_name=Linux -f /root/vxfloater1.recov /dev/vx/dsk/vxfloater1/data
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26040: Please verify if the following details identify the migration target for /dev/vx/dsk/vxfloater1/data:
Operating system : Linux
Operating system version : any
Architecture : any
VxFS version : any
Bits : 64
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26037: Would you like to proceed further with migration? (ynq) y
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26041: The filesystem would need to be byteswapped for use on this target.
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26037: Would you like to proceed further with migration? (ynq) y
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26130: There are no files violating the CDS limits for this target.
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26047: Byteswapping in progress ...
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-21842: Do you wish to commit to conversion? (ynq) y
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26048: The filesystem has been byteswapped and is now ready for use on the specified target.

3.) Deport the VxVM DiskGroup
root# vxdg deport vxfloater1

On LINUX:
4.) Import the VXVM Diskgroup
root# vxdg import vxfloater1

5.) Start the contained volume(s) in the transported Diskgroup
root# vxvol ├в g vxfloater1 startall

6.) Mount the filesystem(s) on top of the volume to its corresponding mountpoint.
root# mount -t vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/vxfloater1/data /vxfloater1

# df -k /vxfloater1
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/vxfloater1/data
4194106368 391896 4160951088 1% /vxfloater1

Data on the filesystem(s) on the transported VxVM DiskGroup from UNIX should now be natively readable/writable by LINUX at FULL SAN Speed

LINUX to UNIX:

On LINUX:
1.) Unmount the filesystem on LINUX
root# umount /vxfloater1

2.) Deport the VxVM DiskGroup
root# vxdg deport vxfloater1

On UNIX:
3.) Import the VxVM DiskGroup
root# vxdg import vxfloater1

4.) Start the contained volume(s) within the VxVM DiskGroup
root# vxvol ├в g vxfloater1 startall

5.) Do the Endian Conversion or CDS conversion so filesystem on top of the volume is ├в mountable ├в r/w├в once more on UNIX.
root# /opt/VRTS/bin/fscdsconv -i -f /root/vxfloater1.recov /dev/vx/dsk/vxfloater1/data
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-26036: The filesystem would need to be byteswapped for use on this machine.
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: INFO: V-3-21842: Do you wish to commit to conversion? (ynq) y

6.) Mount the filesystem(s) on top of the volume(s) that was/were converted.
root# mount /dev/vx/dsk/vxfloater1/data /vxfloater1

Data on the filesystem(s) on the transported VxVM DiskGroup from LINUX should now be natively readable/writable by UNIX at FULL SAN Speed.

Hakuna Matata.