Operating System - HP-UX
1753316 Members
4965 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving a LVM VG on an 11.0 Server to an 11i Server - Any issues?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Moving a LVM VG on an 11.0 Server to an 11i Server - Any issues?

Component disks are on SAN so we have the ability to present the disks to any server. The 11.0 server's LVOLs have VxFS (OJFS) filesystems (3.3 and v4.0 layout).

This should not be a problem right?

Had to ask this question since this is actually are last LVM volume group .. everything else have been migrated to VxVM.

Thanks!
Hakuna Matata.
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Nelson:

You should have no problems. JFS version 3.3 with a layout version-4 is completely compatible with JFS 3.3 or JFS 3.5 on HP-UX release 11.0 through 11.23 inclusive. In fact, version=4 layouts are the default version up until 11.23.

Of course, use 'vgexport' to handle your volume groups. You can create a mapfile with the VGID and 'vgimport by that, or use an 'outfile/infile' specification containing the physical paths in the order you want to see them. See the man pages for 'vgimport' and 'vgexport' for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...

Regards!

...JRF...
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This is possible

One 11.00 node

umount /fs
vgchange -a n vgxx
vgexport -m map.vgxx vgxx
copy map.vgxx to 11i server

on the 11I node

mkdir /dev/vgxx
mknod /dev/vgxx/group c 64 0x0x0000
vgimport -m map.vgxx vgxx /dev/dsk/cxtydz
vgchange -a y vgxx
vgcfgbackup vgxx
mount /fs (after adding it to /etc/fstab)
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Thanks..

I just want to make sure there are no gotchas that will bite us. Understandably .. the LVM structures are still the same between 11.0 and 11.11. What matters is the filesystem on top of the LVOL. Your destination OS/Kernel must support whatever "layout" (VxFS notably). We are actually at VxFS 3.5 (OjFS 3.5) on our target 11.11 server -- which is still compatible with all earlier VxFS "layouts"

I already have a tool that was in use some months back when we were still LVM to aid in moving VGs from system to system. Essentially it does a map file creation with the VGID (vgexport -s -m ...) and scp's the mapfile to the target server. The tool the ssh's to the destination server, checks for the presence of each component disk (actually checks each disk's VGID), automgically create the /dev/VG device, group file, etc.. and issues a vgimport...

One there, we migrate to VxVM volumes via:

dd if=/dev/LVMVG/rlvolx of=/dev/vx/rdsk/VXVMDG/volx bs=8192k

Hakuna Matata.

Hi,

If u have such kind of tested tools, u can very well move the VG using that. How ever it is always recomended to go for a manual step by step procedure, since you are going play with the data.

"Known Devil is better than unknown God"

Luk has already provided u the step by step procedure, u can follow that. One change in his steps you have to do is to use -s option along with vgexport to include the vgid with the map file.
like :vgexport -s -m map.vgxx vgxx

Then import it with -s option, this will read the physical disks vgid and import those disks in to the VG, so u don't have to specify the physical disks in vgimport command.

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions