Operating System - HP-UX
1752353 Members
6178 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New clustered volume manager HP?

A. Dekker

New clustered volume manager HP?

A few month ago, a HP Engineer was at our location. He said something about a new HP volume manager. It should support clustering and should have features from the Tru64 volume/cluster manager.
Is this really the case, or was there some misunderstanding? I cannot find any information about it.
6 REPLIES 6
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

Are you speaking of Veritas Cluster Volume Manager (CVM) and Cluster File System (CFS) ?

Try this http://docs.hp.com/en/T1859-90048/ch02s07.html

Regards

Eric

A. Dekker

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The Engineer was talking about a HP solution. At the moment, we are using Veritas Volume manager (VxVM), but we are looking for a less expensive alternative, that perferably also supports clustered filesystems. As far as I know, LVM does not support that.

Arno.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Arno,

You are right, as far as I know there is no clustering features improvement integrated with HP-UX (LVM and base VxVM), that is without buying an expensive licence. I have no knowledge of a free, or little expensive, software that would permit filesystem clustering with HP-UX. May be someone else knows ?

For HP-UX roadmap :

www.hp.com/go/unixupdate

And for CFS on HP-UX :

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/awards.jsp?pcid=1020&pvid=209_1

Regards

Eric
A. Dekker

Looking at the roadmap, It looks like HP wants to abandon the effort to place Tru64 functionality in HPUX and instead, let Symantec/Veritas take over that part. Not the news I was hoping for.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

CFS is a add on product from HP that provides a clustered file system in conjunction with ServiceGuard. CFS is implemented as special serviceGuard packages and Clustered Verits Volume Manager which is part of the CFS product when you purchase CFS.

It is very easy to setup. You do not create the packages themselves. CFS has its own commands to create the CFS mount points which defines it on all of the nodes in the cluster.

Works great and can also be used for Oracle RAC 10GR2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

BTW, the "news" mentioned some posts earlier (the unixupdate link) was new in 2004 when 11.31 was announced the first time.
Things have changed since this time but not so much - the veritas product will do this task on hp-ux.
I don't know both, but the features are not "from Tru64" but likely "similar".

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!