Operating System - HP-UX
1753439 Members
4898 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Newbie question on spanning and mirroring drives.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel Robert
Frequent Advisor

Newbie question on spanning and mirroring drives.

I am using HP-UX 11.11.

This is my first server that I have which has four internal drives. Since all the data is going on a RAID, I really don't have any need for the internal disks other then for the system. What I was thinking of doing is to span the VGs across two PV then mirror the spanned VGs to the two other PVs. The following is what I have done, but I am not sure if this has accomplished what I wanted:
- I started out with the boot device being c1t2d0
# pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0
# pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0
# pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0
# vgextend /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0 /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
# mkboot /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0
# mkboot -a "hpux -lq (;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol3
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol4
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol5
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol6
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol7
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol8
# lvboot -R /dev/vg00

When I look at the drives I see that the lights on c1t2d0 (the original boot drive) and c2t0d0 are on solid and the other two are flashing rapidly.

Is this accomplishing what I described? Is this the best way to setup these drives?

Unfortunately I will be on holidays until Aug. 5th, so please be patient if you want additional information.
14 REPLIES 14
Nido
Trusted Contributor

Re: Newbie question on spanning and mirroring drives.

Hello Daniel,

Follow the Document for root mirroring the disks.
Also check the points mentioned for Mirroring Critical Information section specially strict allocation policy.

>>>>lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1
You may specify the disks on which you want to extend the mirror.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-1236/When_Good_Disks_Go_Bad_WP.pdf

Mirror the Disk First!!
and Enjoy your Holidays!!

Cheers!!
" Let Villagers Be Happy!! "
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You Have 4 drives /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0, /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0, /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0, /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0

Befiore mirroring give some considerations to implement more redundancy

Select different controller for mirror disk.Selecting different controllers will help you to have one more level of redendancy that, if your one controller fails also you can boot from other disk.

your current boot disk is /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0. So select /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0 or /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0 for mirror. ( C2)

1. Create a physical volume with a boot reserved area
# pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0

2. Add the physical volume to the root VG
#vgextend /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0

3. Use mkboot to place the boot utilities in the boot area and add the AUTO file and verify

#mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0
#mkboot -a "hpux -lq" /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0

Verify using the LIF utilities are copied and autofile is edited.

#lifls /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0 ( ensure it showls the LIF contents)
## lifcp /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0:AUTO - ( ensure autofile is modified)

4. Use mkboot to update the AUTO file on the primary boot disk

#mkboot -a "hpux -lq" /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0

6. Mirror all the system logical volumes. Dont miss to mention the disk name. Check mirror policy also. That should be strict policy

# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
# lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0

7. Modify your alternate boot path
#setboot -a x/y/z.c.t.d ( use the path of your new boot disk)

8. Update your BDRA

# lvboot -R /dev/vg00

9. Ensure BDRA is updated

# lvboot -v /dev/vg00

9. Edit /stand/bootconf and add your new mirrored boot disk. This will help to update the ODE and other utlity in LIF area when ever there is an upadate using SD-UX.

# vi /stand/bootconf
l /dev/dsk/c2t2d0

###################################

For mirroring you may use

# for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ; do
> lvextend -A n -m 1 /dev/vgoo/lvol$i /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
>done
########################################

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Daniel Robert
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sooraj, thanks for the detailed instructions, it was handy to have to compare to what I have been using in the past. One thing that is that I cannot find is the "lvboot" command. Is that available in 11i Version 1?

Another problem is is that I am not sure how to extend the boot drives (the primary one and the mirrored one). Do I extend c1t2d0 to c2t2d0 and c1t0d0 to c2t0d0?
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

he meant "lvlnboot" not lvboot....

Was it lvboot before (in 11.0) as my documentation has this and I was not able to find that command when I tried to do it again this time (although I have done setup new systems in the past and I don't believe a ran into this, huh)? If not, it may have been a typo in my documentation and Sooraj may have copied it from my question.
Daniel Robert
Frequent Advisor

Ooops, I rather meant add c1t0d0 and c2t0d0 to vg00. I that what I have to do?
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>>What I was thinking of doing is to span the VGs across two PV then mirror the spanned VGs to the two other PVs<<

To achieve this you should understand the allocation policies. You have to configure Physical Volume Group(PVG) to accomplish your task. See man lvcreate to know more about allocation policies.

PVG is like grouping the disks. One set of disks will be part of one PVG and another set of PVG will be part of another PVG. When you do mirror, it will mirror the date copy on second PVG. This way you can have primary copy on first PVG and mirror copy on second PVG. PVG spannes across two disks.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Again,

Configuring PVG is simple. Just create a /etc/lvmpvg file like below.

# vi /etc/lvmpvg
VG /dev/vg00
PVG pvg1
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0
PVG pvg2
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0
/dev/dsk/c2t2d0

You have to create this file before mirroring. Once you created this file you can follow the normal steps to mirror the root disks.

Before mirroring a LV you need to set it├в s allocation policy to PVG-strict, if it is not set already. By default lv will be created with strict allocation policy only. e.g:
# lvchange -s g /dev/vg01/lvol1
# lvdisplay /dev/vg01/lvol1 | grep Allocation
Allocation PVG-strict

For details look at the lvmpvg man page.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Daniel Robert
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ganesan, thanks for the additional information, but I think that there is still a piece of the puzzle still missing. To prepare for the implementation of your suggestion, I removed the mirror copies that I had already created. Then I created the lvmpvg file and changed all the LV's allocation policy to be PVG-strict.

On another note, I reinstalled the server and this time made c2t0d0 as the primary boot device and c1t0d0 as the secondary boot device (mirror copy) and have c2t2d0 belong to c2t0d0's PVG and c1t2d0 to c1t0d0's PVG (I did this because it made more sense visually as the top drives are using controller 2 and the bottom are controller 1 (why?), and to me the top drives should be primary ones, sorry, just my quirky preference).

Now back to the problem at hand... when I tried to mirror the LVs I got the following messages:
Information in "etc/lvmtab" differs from that in "etc/lvmpvg".
Physical volume "dev/dsk/c2d2t0" does not belong to volume group "/dev/vg00".
lvextend: Error detected when reading from file "/etc/lvmpvg".

#strings /etc/lvmtab
/dev/vg00
/dev/dsk/c2d0t0
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0

#cat /etc/lvmpvg
VG /dev/vg00
PVG upperdrives
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0
/dev/dsk/c2d2t0
PVG lowerdrives
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0

I used the vgscan -av but it did not add the other two drives. I think that I need to use the vgimport, but I am not sure how to proceed. Here is what I _think_ needs to be done:
#vgimport -v /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
#vgimport -v /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0
vgchange -a y vg00

Sorry, this is probably viewed as handholding, but I was not able find documentation on how to mirror spanned VGs, and the fact that they are spanned is what's tripping me up.