New Discussion юеВ

Re: No Space left on the device-- not able to create any file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bunty....
Advisor

No Space left on the device-- not able to create any file

Hi,
When I check the file system using bdf, it shows its 75% used means 1.4Gb is free.
/dev/vg70/bunty_data_rbs01
5636096 4128772 1413117 75% /bunty/data/rbs01
But when i create a file under this FS. it shows---
No Space left on the device.

I am not able to create any file.

but I am able to create files under /bunty/data/rbs02.

these rba01 & rbs02 are under same VG.
Please suggest
6 REPLIES 6
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The Filesystem / mountpoint mounted at /bunty/data/rbs01 is out of space. You need to extend it or clean it.

/bunty/data/rbs02 is part of a different FS, so you may have space over there. This has nothing to do with the space you may have free for the VG. You need to manaully allocate space to the filesystem at /bunty/data/rbs01 for it to have more space.

Hope this helps.

regds
DCE
Honored Contributor

What does df -k show for available space on the mount point?

You can sometimes get false reports on available space if an open file has been deleted. The system will not allow you to write to that disk space until the program accessing the deleted file releases the space - this usually means stopping and restarting the process that was usung the deleted file. (or restarting the system)

Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Bunty --

Essentially, you have a temporary file open that is filling up your directory which is why the system knows its there .. kind of.

There is no correlation in disk space usage between two lvols/filesystems since their space is allocated from different physical extents.

One possiblitiy is an out of control process do:

ps -ef | cut -c42-80 | sort -nr | head

This will show you the CPU time for the top 10 processes. If you see a user process in that list that looks out of control, that might be the problem.

Otherwise cd to the directory and type:

find . -size +1000000c

This will show you files that are part of the 72% at least.

If nothing else helps and the box can be rebooted, then do that since it will close out the temp files and make them visible to bdf and find on reboot (unless they are discarded when the machine reboots).

Best regards,

Oz
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you have the fs full.
check df -k .

also df -i (which shows inode details)

sometime it may happen that you have mounted on a fs that has data e.g your /bunty/data/rbs02 may be a directory with files and you have mounted your fs on it.

as your rbs01 and 02 are different lvs it does not matter you create files in the other one will solve this problem...

Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi Bunty,

As a previous reply mentioned there is a chance a temp file was deleted which shows you space on /bunty/data/rbs01.

Use 'lsof' or 'fuser' to track the process down.

Another possible reason for the mismatch in if you have a filesystem with a high number of files created, the filesystem might have ran out of inodes which is required to create new files. That said, I am pretty sure the error message would have been different, something indicating that its out of inodes.

As for you being able to create new files on /bunty/data/rbs02, is due to the fact its another FS.

Jov
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is the actual size of the file you are creating. Assuming that 1.4Gb is free if you are creating the file of approximately same size then this error can come because for a particular instance of time the usage could have reduce to some what less than required to allocate the file.

Are you able to create small files?

The best thing to do will be to increase the file system size if you have some free space in the VG.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"