1752601 Members
4405 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OS BACKUP

Tommy Wang
Occasional Advisor

OS BACKUP

In order to eliminate problems caused by power failure. I would like to backup the operating system. Is there any instruction could tell me about this issue in detail?
any help would be highly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Re: OS BACKUP

Is it just the vg00 that you would like to backup? In this case is make_recovery the first choise. It's part of the IGNITE bundle
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

You can umount other files systems and do a local fbackup through SAM.
If you need to recover your system use Ignite-UX command:
make_recovery -ACvd /dev/rmt/0m.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you haven't the software IGNITE you can get it here:
http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/index.html

Andrew
surendhar prakash.J
Frequent Advisor

Hi

If you want to take a Operating system backup you need to unmount the other file system.you can take a backup by using "tar" or "fbackup".

using tar:-

Before taking a backup unmount other file system (i.e /data1,/oracle or /user1)

find out the tape drive device file,by using

#ioscan -fnC tape (This will list available tape devices with device file)
For example i taking my device, device file as 0m

#tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0m / ( This will take entire backup under /)

#tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0m ( This will restore your backup from tape to Hard Disk)

#tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0m (This will list contents of your dat drive)

using fbackup:-

#fbackup -if=/(root directory) of=/dev/rmt/0m

you can invoke the fbackup command through "sam" also.If you want to take backup by using fbackup better use sam only.
By using sam you can include the directory or exclude the directory

sam steps as follows

1)#sam

2)file system and backup

If your system crashes (i.e not coming up) you need to use recovery media to recover Operating System.

best os luck

J.suren.
Tommy Wang
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all your replies. First step, I will install the ignite-ux. Thanks for all of you.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Your statement regarding power failures in your post strikes up some concern in my mind. This suggests that you have no power protection on your system. This is not a good idea on any virtual memory machine (most every machine these days). If your talking about a server, you are really setting yourself up for disaster. Backups are only good to the time of the last backup - best case. This assumes a lot of things like everything is synchronized at the time of backup (and maintained that way during the backup) and that everything is in fact backed up.

The bottom line here is that investing in a UPS is cheap insurance. What is the cost of the machine downtime? What is the cost of the data that may be lost? On a workstation, you can do it for less than $200(US). For larger machines there is all kinds of used equipment out there very reasonably priced.

Maybe this is a little off topic, but I thought I would bring it up in case it has not been considered.
Thomas Wilhelmsen

HI!

If it is only your operating system you are concerned about, I recommend an Ignite backup (make_recovery). A script like this should do it :

#!/usr/bin/sh
make_recovery -Av -d /dev/rmt/0mn
mt -t /dev/rmt/0m offl

This will do a backup of your OS, and eject the tape when it is finished.
The great thing about make_recovery is that the tape becomes bootable, so if your system crashes you can boot from this tape, and it will "reinstall" your OS, and everything on vg00.

Thomas
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

If you have a concern about power failures, you should have a concern about backups as well. If the power goes out while a backup is being done, you don't have a backup.
Nagaraj Dandeboyina
Occasional Advisor

Use IGNITE to take backup of ur complete system.With that you can make bootable also.
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects