108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

One mirrored disk died, other not mounted at reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Solomon
Occasional Contributor

One mirrored disk died, other not mounted at reboot

I have a pair of mirrored disks (non-boot) where one died. Ordinarily when this occurs, as I recall the remaining disk remains in use. This time, at least after reboot, the volume group (vg01) was "inactive", and to active it via vgchange I had to use the "-q n" option to ignore quorum enforcement, then I was able to mount the logical volume OK and limp along until I get a spare disk onsite. Is this normal? This system is on 11.0, prior experience with a failed mirrored drive was 10.20.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: One mirrored disk died, other not mounted at reboot

This is perfectly normal. With one disk out in a 2 disk volume group you don't have more than 50% of the disks available. All would have been well had you not powered-down or deactivated the volume group. You can, of course, force the activation as you did. If you are using hot-plug disks there was no reason to powerdown. I haven't shutdown to replace a disk (including boot disks) in well over five years.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Allan,

This is totally normal behavior.

If this was vg00 then on the mkboot -a command you'd use "hpux -lq" to boot up w/o quorum.

If this was an MC/SG system & this VG was not a cluster VG then you could use the string
/sbin/vgchange -a y -q n /dev/vg_name
in the /etc/lvmrc file to activate this VG w/o quorum.
I'm not sure how to do this without MC/SG in play. I think it's deliberate to alert you to a failed disk in case you're not using EMS or some other monitoring/alerting SW.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Alan Solomon
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reassurances! I guess I never rebooted when a mirrored disk failed in the past. Actually this system is in Shenzhen, China and I'm in Michigan. A Chinese colleague performed the reboot then called me.
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Alan,

Just a comment or two.

If you had a disk available AND This is a recent model system (K,L,N,V, etc...) on 11.0, you could have replaced the failed disk while online. OR you could have merely shutdown -h instead of -ry to add the disk in while the box was down.

I'm only guessing that you rebooted to get the box back in service ASAP.

BTW, a trick I use is to build my VGs (ie VG01, VGO2, etc) with more than one LVOL (/home, /tmp, /crash, etc) so that the VG always has more than 2 disks in it so you dont have this problem in the future.
Unix, the other white meat.