Operating System - HP-UX
1748169 Members
4274 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

One stale extent for /dev/vg00/lvol2 (swap)

SOLVED
Go to solution
generic_1
Respected Contributor

Re: One stale extent for /dev/vg00/lvol2 (swap)

I would look in stm and cstm and see if the disk looks like its going bad after the sync stuff.

This is an excellent document on replacing your disk, and fixing your mirror afterwords.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-1236/When_Good_Disks_Go_Bad.pdf

I think you have a sick disk, though, so I would replace it if it were mine, before you have more issues.
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I still stuck to my old opinion of replacing the disk but if you are still searching for other options for some time then a read test will be the best to test the LVOL. As it is a mirror before the read test should be performed you should reduce the lvol from the faulty disk and then recreate a LVOL on it. Use dd to read all the contents of this new LVOL and copy it to null.

Suppose your new LVOL created in vg00 is lvol14. Then use this on the new LVOL.

#dd if=/dev/vg00/lvol14 of=/dev/null

It will read your lvol throughly and will report all IO errors. It is also possible that during this test it show more errors & cause system to slow downas the disk is faulty so plan at a suitable time accordingly.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Thanks to all for the very useful info. I ended up replacing the disk. This thread will be useful in the future for me.

jack...
Ryan McKlveen
Advisor

not sure if this has been brought up yet or not, but not sure exactly which disk the stale extent shows up on. I've experienced once upon a time that the stale extent was on the primary disk but it showed on the alternate - so I had to actually replace the primary disk. (stale extent was copied over apparently) - being swap not a great big deal - but just be sure which disk to drop out -
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

'stale' extent was on the primary disk of the system drives. It was the first extent for lvol2.