108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OnlineJFS 3.5 on Itanium rx2600 and rx5670

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Poelert_1

OnlineJFS 3.5 on Itanium rx2600 and rx5670

Hi,

I have a few questions about OnlineJFS on Itanium.

My reseller is trying to sell me a license for OnlineJFS for every processor in both systems. I thought that licensing was done per system.
Has anybody an idea about the licensing?

Does OnlineJFS 3.5 run on HP-UX 11.22?
And is it compatible with the basic LVM, or doe I need Veritas Volume Manager?

Thanks,

Frank
5 REPLIES 5
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Frank,

To be best of my knowledge, OnlineJFS is licensed per system, not per processor. In fact, just ran a "vxlicense -p" on a 1-way workstation and a 4-way superdome partition and they both say 1 license.

JFS 3.5 has only been released for 11i and 11.23 - whether it will install and run on 11.22 I don't know but it won't be supported.

Yes, its compatible with LVM. The filesystem layer and volume management layer are independent, so all local filesystems can be created on any volume manager.

cheers,

James.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The procing structure has recently changed and it is now licensed on a per CPU basis.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I have just gone through HP's "Quick Quote" area, which lets you configure a system to your liking and shows you the retail price.
(If you want to play with this feature, go here - https://www.e-solutions.hp.com/wow/wow3/WoWSystemSelectionServlet?action=selectModelClass
)

I selected an rx5670 and put 4 CPUs in it. I then went to the 'Add a Component' section, selected software and added the Online JFS.

When I look at pricing it shows that the Online JFS as:

Part number: B3929DA 2AH
Description: Single processor license
Quantity: 4
List Price: $1,965.00
Total Price: $7,860.00

So I would say your reseller is correct, unfortunately. HP seems to have gone the way of per processor licensing for most of their stuff. :-(
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi Frank,

I am afraid your reseller is right.

Maybe it is an idea bye the onlineJfs from Patrick, with the current Euro/Dollar ratings ;-}

Gideon
Frank Poelert_1

Thanks a lot everybody.
So my reseller seems to be right about the licensing structure.

I still would like to know what exchange rate he uses to calculate his prices (â ¬4048 isn't exactly the same as $1965).

Fr