7678 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PV unavailable

vijay alur alur
Frequent Advisor

Hi Torsten,

Disk replacement activity completed successfully!!Thanks a lot! just wanted to review what we did with you. We prepared a game plan as follows

1. remove failed disk and replace it with new disk in the same slot.

2. identify the new disk ioscan -fnCdisk

3. vgcfgrestore

4. vgsync

5. check the sync completion with lvdisplay -v /dev/vg01/u90

6. after sync completed, generated the map file and copied it to passive node and imported the vg on passive node after ioscan and detecting the new disk on passive node

The issue we faced was we were not able to perform step #4 with a error "Cannotquery the VG the PV is connected to" later we changed the activation mode from Exclusive mode to normal active mode with -a y  option. After doing this i was able to perform vgsync and go ahead with other steps successfully.

So i wasn't much clear that why i wasn't able to go ahead with vgsync with vg activated in exclusive mode?

may be vg in exclusive mode doesnt allow me to do vgsync which vg -a y does.

Also note that when we took a reboot initially the lvmtab entry for failed disk was gone but the LV still had the mirror failed disk details,so there was an inconsistency in LVM.

Regards,

Vijay.

Lead Engineer, IMS.
iGATE
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What is the OS version (date of the patch bundle)? It is probably very old, because on current versions you cannot do a vgcfgrestore without doing a "pvchange -a n ..." first. So your issue could be related to some missing patches ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
vijay alur alur
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

OS Version

# uname -a
HP-UX Hostname B.11.23 U 9000/800 4254030036 unlimited-user license

Patch Level

# swlist -l bundle |grep -i qpk
  QPKAPPS               B.11.23.1012.086a Applications Patches for HP-UX 11i v2, December 2010
  QPKBASE               B.11.23.1012.086a Base Quality Pack Bundle for HP-UX 11i v2, December 2010
# swlist -l bundle |grep -i hwe
  HWEnable11i           B.11.23.1012.085a Hardware Enablement Patches for HP-UX 11i v2, October 2010

i am not sure, i guess we were not even able to do vgcfgrestore only after vgchange -a y  or not...... i will confirm that to you.

Regards,

Vijay.

Lead Engineer, IMS.
iGATE