New Discussion юеВ

Re: PVlinks on EVA4k/6k/8k

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

PVlinks on EVA4k/6k/8k

Hi Folks,

I need to know if somebody is using PVlinks for their EVA4k/6k/8k and how good it is in comparison with Securepath (real life experiences).

I found the below thread already and need to find some further details.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977497

What are the real pros and cons of PVlink Vs securepath? Is cost the only factor or is there any other points which are important when choosing between the 2.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
27 REPLIES 27
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi Mohan,

I thing is 100 % sure.
Secure path is not supported on EVA4/6/8000

You can choose the primary path your self with the vg command vgremove / vgextend

So there is not way to compare it with secure path if you buy an EVA4/6/8000
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Luk,

Thanks for your input. I guess I need to provide more clarity in my question.

I am looking to find information about using either pvlinks or Securepath for HP-UX servers. The servers are going to connect to EVA4000.

The Securepath Quick specs guide at

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11402_div/11402_div.pdf

does indicate that EVA4000, EVA6000, EVA8000 are supported at version 3.0F for HP-UX servers.

So I am still looking forward for some replies which can answer my query.

With regards,
Mohan.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

"Secure Path" is the 'umbrella name' for multipath products from HP. Secure Path V3.0F is a bundle of 2 components:

1.) the former "Secure Path" from Compaq which supports so-called active/passive storage arrays - the HSG80-based and EVA3000/5000.

2.) the former "AutoPath" from pre-merger HP which suports so-called active/active storage arrays - the VA7xx0 series and the EVA4000/6000/8000.

I guess I share Mohan's concerns - what excatly is SecurePath/AutoPath adding over straight PVLinks?

So SecurePath/AutoPath for 4/6/8K allows load balancing, but how is this actually helping on the EVA, when any IO that goes to a non-preferred controller is actually pushed across the mirror port to the preferred controller anyway?

I guess we can load balance across the 2 ports on the same controller, but I'm not sure how much additional performance we get out of this.

And SecurePath/AutoPath for EVA4/6/8K doesn't even provide you with 1 disk device file - you still seee all 4 (8 on an EVA8000!) - Yes I know you only need to use 1, but...

Long and short is, I can't see what value SecurePath/AutoPath is adding on HP-UX - unless someone can tell me something I'm missing?

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Uwe,

I am looking to figure out why a customer should buy Securepath instead of using the inbuilt PVlinks.

Customer sees that securepath costs him a fortune compared to the "free" PVlinks.

At this juncture I am trying to find from others what advantages and disadvantages they can indicate on either of the solution.

As a start, The cost factor is very much against Securepath. But I am looking to find if there is any benefit which might justify this cost.

Also, I am trying to get first hand information from people who have tried the PVlinks on the EVA4k/6k/8k and their comfort level on the same.

I hope I could find someone who have done this already.

With regards,
Mohan.
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

PVlink advantage: you already know how to use them. Securepath is another product you have to learn. So far whenever we upgrade Securepath, it requires a reboot. That is not always desirable for 24/7 users.

Marlou
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Both me and customer are familiar with PVlink as securepath so I cannot count that as an advantage. eva3000 and eva5000

From the replies here what I could deduce is, though PVlink is supported on the new EVAs not many have actually implemented in their environment.

Maybe things may change after few months.

Thanks to all for taking your time to reply.

With regards,
Mohan.
Pat Obrien_1
Regular Advisor

securepath gives you multiple paths for io to occur on, while pvlinks gives you failover protection.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The prime use of Secure Path is to provide path failover (protection), too - as far as I can tell, dynamic loadbalancing is disabled by default on all platforms, so its rather viewed as an add-on.