1748185 Members
4477 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pathing problem with NetApp

Kevin (Gonzo) Bushman
Frequent Advisor

Pathing problem with NetApp

This may not be the right area to post this but I hope someone can help.

We have 2 11.31 boxes connected to a NetApp in a SAN config with 2 FC switches with 8 paths to each LUN created on the NA (4 paths per switch). I created the LUN's on the NA and then used agile naming to refer to the disk/paths. That is, when I added the disk to the VG, I added it via agile naming to minimize management (1 disk path listed (/dev/disk/disk123 versus 8 paths for each LUN (/dev/dsk/c1t1d1, etc.).

Anyway, now when we look at the pathing via a NA utility (sanlun), 4 paths are marked as primary and 4 are marked as alternate which makes sense. The problem is, 2 of the primary paths should be alternate and 2 of the alternates should be primary due to the way the cabling is laid out on the switches.

Has anyone used sanlun (a NA utility) or have any suggestions on how I can fix these paths so they are correct?

Points will be given!

Thanks,
-Gonzo
If you do nothing else in with your life, make friends with a dog.
5 REPLIES 5
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

WHat does:

sanlun lun show -p

show?
Hakuna Matata.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like the paths in question were zoned backwards. May be a matter of removing those zoned paths and putting them back in correctly.

I'd recommend you check with your SAN person...

Regards,
Rita
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

BTW.. did you install the Netapp Santoolkit from http://now.netapp.com.?

Two utilities there would be of interest to you: ntap_config_paths (for PV Link vg's) and enable_ontap_pvlinks (for agile disks, HP-UX 11.31).

Cheers!

We'ce a new NetApp filer but we've slated it to be used for vSPhere/ESX environments at this time.
Hakuna Matata.
Kevin (Gonzo) Bushman
Frequent Advisor

Alzhy - You da' man (woman?)!

sanlun shows primary/alternate paths as I described. That's where I got my info to post the question! I'm new to the NA world as we've always used HP arrays in the past, so I'm just figuring out the utilities to manage our new NA. Anyway, sanlun and snapdrive are the only ones I've really used - so far...

We do have the host utilities loaded. I just looked at the man pages for the two utilities you listed (ntap_config_paths and enable_ontap_pvlinks) and they are the solution I am looking for I believe. It will take me some time to figure out how to use them exactly, but they appear to be the solution as they address the exact problem I described.

I'll post back what I find so others can use this info as well.

Thanks so much.

-Gonzo
If you do nothing else in with your life, make friends with a dog.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Gonzo,

Alzhy is genderless (for now).
Hakuna Matata.