1753902 Members
8928 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Phantom devices in SAM

placitasmd
Frequent Advisor

Phantom devices in SAM

Unable to see disks in SAM that were removed from a VG(vgreduce) so that they can be reused. Can do any LVM command from command line without a problem. Even created a new volume group and added all the devices to the VG. Then exported the VG hoping that this would clear up the issue within SAM for me. I had to add the new VG manually since SAM does not think that I have any unused drives. When in SAM, and viewing all disk devices, I have an entry for all the drives on path 0/2/1/0/20.2.0.0.0 with 43 Paths. I cannot see any of the LUNS individually. LUNs on other controllers are all listed individaully within SAM. Some of the LUNs on the abocve path are presently owned by VGs (roughly 20), but there are 7 that are not assigned to any VG. When I VIEW more information about this path, it list only one device under "Device Files" but I look under "Alternate Paths" it lists all 27 devices. In addition The volume group name at the top of the window lists 3 VGs. When I do a vgdisplay to all the VGs they do not show the devices files of the LUNs I cannot add(via SAM). I suspect that I have an issue within a SAM config file but I am not sure. Any ideas?

Also, within SAM I cannot change or view my primary path for any of the 3 volume groups mentioned above. I can vgreduce/vgextend alternate paths from command line without any problems.
Mark E Duhamel
3 REPLIES 3
whiteknight
Honored Contributor

Re: Phantom devices in SAM

Hi Pacitasmd,

Check your SAM cumulative patch see if it is the latest ?

PHCO_34974 11.23 SAM cumulative
PHCO_35520 11.11 SAM cumulative
PHCO_36499 11.31 SAM cumulative

Please install the respective version of patch, and try again

WK
Problem never ends, you must know how to fix it
TY 007
Honored Contributor

Hello,

>> I suspect that I have an issue within a SAM config file but I am not sure
>> Any ideas?
>> within SAM I cannot change or view my primary path for any of the 3 volume
>> groups mentioned above. I can vgreduce/vgextend alternate paths from
>> command line without any problems.

If you are dealing with Alternate Paths, stick to OS Command Line.

SAM is merely a Front-End GUI.

Do look into the Latest OS LVM Patches.

PHCO_33244 s700_800 11.00 LVM commands cumulative patch
PHKL_35742 s700_800 11.00 LVM Cumulative Patch

PHCO_35955 s700_800 11.11 LVM commands cumulative patch
PHKL_35970 s700_800 11.11 LVM Cumulative Patch

Thanks
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Please check patch id PHCO_35520 :

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHCO_35520

JAGaf55409) On entering the SAM -> Disks and File System -> Disk Devices subarea, SAM does not correctly detect multiple paths for XP12000 LUNs.

JAGaf56757) On entering the SAM -> Disks and File Systems -> Disk Devices subarea, SAM does not correctly detect multiple paths for EVA XL arrays.

Hope this explains the symptom you are seeing in SAM