Operating System - HP-UX
1753354 Members
5130 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Phys. Vol in Root Vol Group isn't "Boot Disk"?

SOLVED
Go to solution
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Phys. Vol in Root Vol Group isn't "Boot Disk"?

I've been working my way thru several existing servers. Ran lvlnboot -v on one of them and got the results shown:

Physical Volumes belonging in Root Volume Group:
/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 (10/0.6.0) -- Boot Disk
/dev/dsk/c0t5d0 (10/0.5.0)
/dev/dsk/c0t4d0 (10/0.4.0) -- Boot Disk
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0 (10/0.3.0) -- Boot Disk
Boot: lvol1 on: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0
/dev/dsk/c0t4d0
Root: lvol3 on: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0
/dev/dsk/c0t4d0
Swap: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0
/dev/dsk/c0t4d0
Dump: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0, 0

Note tha c0t5d0 is not marked "Boot Disk". I looked a little further and found it contains parts of /opt and /home, is mirrored, and syncd.

So, is this a problem, and if so, how do I fix it (never seen this case before)
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Well the first thing I note is that although 3 disks are marked as boot disks (meaning pvvreate -B and mkboot was run on them) only 1 is actually a valid boot disk. If this were me, I would run vgdisplay -v and lvdisplay to see what actual extents are mirrored.

The important thing to note is that the only required LVOL's on the boot disk itself are /stand, /, and primary swap. The other LVOL's (like /usr, /opt, and /home) can be on another physical disk in the vg. This was a quite common setup when using smaller (2GB and 4GB disks). After getting these two disks setup as you want, you would then mirror onto 2 more disks and setup the alternate boot paths.

It appears that your system wasn't quite done correctly becaause we ought to see 2 boot disks each with Boot, Root, and Swap configured. I would carefully examine lvdisplay -v's and vgdisplay -v's and then lvreduce to remove the mirrors and vgreduce to get rid of the extra PV's and then start the boot mirror creation process in the right order.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

most probably this disk got replaced since the OS was installed and nobody bothered to run an mkboot on this device.

In my opinion, with 3 boot devices out of 4, you are in pretty good shape but it would not hurt to run :

mkboot -a "hpux -lq (;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0
mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0
mkboot -b updatediaglif2 -p ISL -p AUTO -p HPUX -p LABEL /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0

(if your OS is 32 bit version, please replace "updatediaglif2" with "updatediaglif")

Hmmm....
I was afraid of that. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow

Thanks all

scott m