Operating System - HP-UX
1753969 Members
7569 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Primary boot disk failed. Replacement needs to be set up.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Primary boot disk failed. Replacement needs to be set up.

I have not a clue what the steps are!

Do I need to reboot first to go through all the mirroring steps that have been posted here earlier? (Or can I just run setboot -p c2t6d0 and then continue on with the mirroring? )

1) lvlnboot -v returns "lvlnboot: Couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t6d0":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
this volume group"
2) the system has not been rebooted since the failure.
3) vg00 was a mirrored disk set and the mirror copy seems to have taken over normally.
6 REPLIES 6
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You don't need to reboot the system unless you can't replace the disk online. For hot-pluggable disks, you can replace the failed disk online and do

ioscan -f
vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0
vgchange -a y /dev/vg00
mkboot /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0
mkboot -a "hpux -lq" /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0
vgsync /dev/vg00
lvlnboot -R

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Sridhar, thanks so much for the quick response -- I am a bit paranoid, so I have to ask -- Do I need to kick everyone off while I do this, or can I just go for it while people are working etc?

This is a production system that I really can't afford to take off line unless absolutely necessary...
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Mark,

You dont have to kick off the users or bring down the system if you manage to replace the disk online.

As Sri has mentioned, if your disks are hot-swappable then you can do this procedure online without effecting the users.

If your disks are not hot-swappable then you have to shutdown the system and get the disk replaced.

-- Sundar.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Mark,

You dont' need to kick off any user. I assume this is an N|RP7400 type system.

However, if you are concerned about downtime, attempt to do this during off-hours or when there will be less impact to the application. After all, a change is a change and I know management would be very keen on making the changes *visible*.

I have done many times. In fact, I force remove the mirror and use this procedure if I have to boot another server quickly.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, all

I am remirroring(if that's the proper word) as I type.

Many thanks to all.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I would not delay the vgsync operation at all. You will see some IO impact but it should be done in about 30 minutes at most. Every second that you delay is another second that you do not have a mirror. It's one of God's little jokes; if you have a functional mirror then you don't need it but ...

The good news is that I have dones this tens of times over the years and have never shutdown to do a disk replacement.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.