5502 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem booting host with LUN partition

Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

Problem booting host with LUN partition

Hi,

At the time installing OS on LUN partition, it was presented to host with LUN number 2. After installation it was unpresented and represented as LUN number 1. The system doesnot boot up and crashes in midway. SOme LVM related error is also displayed.

We want LUN number to be 1, we cannot change that. what is the best way to recover from this, without reinstalltion?

Thanks in anticipation,
Amit
7 REPLIES 7

If I understand you correctly, you originally installed the server onto a disk /dev/dsk/cXtYd1, but now the same disk appears as /dev/dsk/cXtYd2 - is that right?

There's no way in HPUX to rename the disk back to d1, something must have been changed on your disk array to cause this change. If you can't get it changed back to LUN1 by your storage guys then you will need to reconstruct the root volume group so it knows that d2 is the root disk, not d1.

I'm assuming here that you are using LVM, and that there is 1 disk in your root volume group:

1. Boot up the server, and interrrupt the boot process at the first available chance.

2. Boot off your d2 disk - this will have the same hardware path as the old disk, except for ending in .2 instead of .1

3.When asked the question ├в Interact with ISL?├в answer Y.

At the ISL prompt type:

hpux -lm

4. Remove the existing root volume group configuration:

vgexport vg00

5. Re-create the root volume group:

mkdir /dev/vg00
mknod /dev/vg00/group c 64 0x000000

vgimport /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/cXtYd2

obviously with the correct path to the disk.

6. Activate the volume group and re-create links for boot:

vgchange ├в a y vg00
mount ├в a

lvlnboot ├в b /dev/vg00/lvol1
lvlnboot ├в r /dev/vg00/lvol3
lvlnboot ├в d /dev/vg00/lvol2
lvlnboot ├в s /dev/vg00/lvol2
lvlnboot ├в R /dev/vg00

This assumes that you have a default UX install where /stand is on lvol1, swap/dump are on lvol2, and / is on lvol3
Confirm the configuration is now correct by issuing

lvlnboot ├в v vg00

7. Set the new boot path into stable storage:

setboot ├в p 0/X/0/0.x.x.0.0.0.2

obviously with the correct boot hardware path.

8. Reboot - hopefully everything w

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

Yuck! Horrible pastes from MS word strike again - I should really get into the habit of pasting everything into notepad first. Lets try again with that procedure:

1. Boot up the server, and interrrupt the boot process at the first available chance.

2. Boot off your d2 disk - this will have the same hardware path as the old disk, except for ending in .2 instead of .1

3.When asked the question 'Interact with ISL?' answer Y.

At the ISL prompt type:

hpux -lm

4. Remove the existing root volume group configuration:

vgexport vg00

5. Re-create the root volume group:

mkdir /dev/vg00
mknod /dev/vg00/group c 64 0x000000

vgimport /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/cXtYd2

obviously with the correct path to the disk.

6. Activate the volume group and re-create links for boot:

vgchange -a y vg00
mount -a

lvlnboot -b /dev/vg00/lvol1
lvlnboot -r /dev/vg00/lvol3
lvlnboot -d /dev/vg00/lvol2
lvlnboot -s /dev/vg00/lvol2
lvlnboot -R /dev/vg00

This assumes that you have a default UX install where /stand is on lvol1, swap/dump are on lvol2, and / is on lvol3
Confirm the configuration is now correct by issuing

lvlnboot -v vg00

7. Set the new boot path into stable storage:

setboot -p 0/X/0/0.x.x.0.0.0.2

obviously with the correct boot hardware path.

8. Reboot - hopefully everything will come back OK

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Amit,

By changing the LUN number from 2 to 1, the root disk's device file has most likely changed.

What was the device file of this LUN earlier? It should be /dev/(r)dsk/c?t?d2.

I have never got into this situation muself, but since the LUN no. cahnged from 2 to 1, the device file would change from c?t?d2 to c?t?d1.

You can try booting from /dev/dsk/c?t?d1 now.

You can break the booting (Press a key when system asks you to "Press a key within 10 seconds." and search for potential bootable devices. Interact with ISL, and give hpux -lm (for maintenance mode).

Check the following link regarding "Moving a Disk Drive to a Different Address":
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90675/ch04s08.html

HTH,
Suraj
What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.
Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately even after saying Y it doesn't give the IPL prompt. Gives the following error and goes back to main menu.

=====================================
Main Menu: Enter command or menu > bo p6
Interact with IPL (Y, N, or Cancel)?> y

Booting...
Failed to initialize with ENTRY_INIT Status = -7

fffffff9 0 fcfc04bb 12d
fc000091 65 fc000091 65
fc000091 65 fc000091 65
fc000091 65 fc000091 65
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
.... FAILED.

=======================================

After that I tied assigning it LUN number 2, but with that it didn't boot either.

Any more suggesttions.

-Amit

OK, chances are that your getting the boot path wrong, as these errors indicate no boot LIF or device where you are pointing.

I'm assuming the boot device is actually out a fibre channel card on a SAN yes? If its just on a local SCSI attached disk of some sort then running 'SEA IPL' from the boot prompt should find it.

Otherwise you need to find the correct path for your boot disk. As normally you can't see SAN attached disks from BCH, they may not show up in the 'SEA IPL' search. If thats the case boot off your install CD and then choose to go to a recovery shell - once at the recovery shell run 'ioscan -funCdisk' to find all the disks that HPUX can see - for each of them run 'lifls /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ' until you find one with a boot lif area. Now make a note of the hardware path for the disk (not the device file as that will probably be different anyway). Now reboot again and use that boot path.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Duncan,

Yes you are right the server is connected to SAN through FC. Due to urgent need the server has been booted with different partition now. I won't be able to follwo the steps that you have provided for the time being.

There was no important data stored on the failed partition. So even reinstallation is a choice with me. But if I get the time tomorrow, I will try to fix the things as told by you. I will get back to this forum with more update.

Thanks a lot.

Will assign the points later.

-Amit
Amit Agarwal_1
Trusted Contributor

The EVA and servers have been pulled out for different purpose, and they are no more available to me. Anyways, thanks to everyone who replied.