1752786 Members
5859 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procedure for replacing non-VG00 disk

dictum9
Super Advisor

Procedure for replacing non-VG00 disk

I have a disk fail in the HP disk array. It contained some non-system DB stuff. It has been replaced. However, all 3 logical volumes (what was on that failed disk) in VG02 volume group are not mounting, obviously, because the data is just missing.

I did vgcfgrestore. Is there anything else I need to do? Now what are my options for restoring the data.

There is a make_recovery tape created twice a week, but I am not sure it includes non-VG00 stuff. I also know there is another backup done of the entire system, database volume groups and stuff like that.
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

There is an excellent whitepaper with the guidelines and procedures necessary to deai with disk failures, called "When Good Disks Go Bad: Dealing with Disk Failures under LVM".

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-1236/When_Good_Disks_Go_Bad.pdf

As for the restoration of you lost data, only you know how you do backups ('tar', 'fbackup', etc.) and just how you do complete (full) and incremental backup cycles to maintain timely data backups.

You will have to examine how your Ignite 'make_tape_recovery' is done. I never include anything that isn't a part of vg00, and I never put anything on vg00 other than the standard operating system logical volumes, so in my case, non-vg00 data restoration would not involve Ignite backups.

Regards!

...JRF...
dictum9
Super Advisor

It's most excellent document.. thank you. I will review the procedure.

Hi,

1.Pvcreate the disk
2.Extend VG02 to the new disk.
3.Recreate the LV[lvreduce the old LV and then create a new LV].
4.Create filesystem on new LV and mount it
5.Restore the selected LVOL data using your backup software, through which u have backedup the system. Not the Igniote archive.

Revert if u need any further clarifications

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
R.KrishnaKumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
replace the faulty disk and use the procedure below.

1.vgcfgrestore ├в n vgname pvname
2.vgchange -a y vgname -- to re-enable the LVM acess to the disk
3.restore the data

regards,
krishna
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

replace the disk in the same location--> run vgcfgrestore /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/--->

Thats it !

Now the VG00 will be UP and you can mount the lvols and proceed with restore if data.

With Regards,
Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !