Operating System - HP-UX
1752855 Members
3640 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [Q] How to extend /dev/vg00/lvol3 logical volume ??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony, Lim
Frequent Advisor

[Q] How to extend /dev/vg00/lvol3 logical volume ??

I installed HPUX 11.11 on HP j6750 model by igniteUX Golden Image.
OS installing was successful, however filesystem structure was something strange.
I tried to install on whole disk (73GB). but, root filesystem (/dev/vg00/lvol3) was just 5 GB.

What I want is to extend this lvol3 logical volume.
It was root filesystem and always mounted. so I can't unmount & extend size.
Please let me know how can I extend /dev/vg00/lvol3 root logical volume ??

thanks in advance..
6 REPLIES 6
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Tony,

Extending lvol3 OR /( root) is impossible on command lines. So option is to recreate the system using Ignite recovery in interactive mode. Procedure could be as follows.

SYSTEM RECOVERY USING IGNITE-UX
-------------------------------------

The steps are as follows:

1. Download and install Ignite-UX from
< www.software.hp.com >

2. Insert a tape into your tape drive (/dev/rmt/0m) and run following command while the system has little or no activity. You might need to specify the full path leading to the command.

# make_tape_recovery -A

This is a newer command. It used to be "make_recovery -AC". The command uses /dev/rmt/0mn as the default tape device for making the recovery tape. This command backs up every file in the root disk/volume vg00 and later make it possible to use the check_recovery command, to see how much has changed on the system since the tape was made.

3. Ensure that you have a good full backup of your system. The make_tape_recovery utility was not designed to replace standard backup procedures for all your data files.

4. Review the log files:
/var/opt/ignite/logs/makrec.log1 #Logs progress reports
/var/opt/ignite/logs/makrec.log2 #Logs an Index of filesets stored on tape

In the event of a catastrophic failure of your root disk(s). Use the following procedure to recover:

1. Replace the disk(s)

2. Insert latest make_tape_recovery tape into the tape drive and boot the system.

3. Interrupt the boot process, initiate a search and boot from your tape drive.

Main Menu: search ipl
Main Menu: boot scsi.#.0

4. Interrupt the recovery process. Allow the recovery process to continue interactively. Here you can specify the new sizes for your root volumes.

5.Once the system boots (approx 1-2 hrs, depending on archive size), recover latest backups.

DOCS n DOWNLOAD:-
-----------------------

1.) http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/docs/sysadm.html
2.) http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/infolib.html#N100E0

FAQ:-
----------
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/hp/Ignite-UX_faq.html

Best Regards,
Syam
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

The above procedure is the recovery after replacing the root disk after a hardware failure. You can omit those steps. Rest all are same. Hoping you are already having the latest ignite recovery tape You can go ahead with restoring the same ininteractive mode and change the root lv sizes.

Regards,
Syam
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

root file system (/dev/vg00/lvol3) is a contigious file system, so the way to extend it by re-install the OS (very headache way) OR using Ignite/UX's backup.

Since you mention that your machine has been installed using IgniteUX Golden Image, you just simply re-install using this backup and do some necessary changes. All you have to do is 'interupt the boot processes when you boot from the IgniteUX backup', 're-configure the root file system' and let the IgniteUX backup restore/install the OS for you.

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Tony,
This is not an answer to your question but just some of my experience. Why would you want to extend your root file system above 5Gb? OK you have a 73Gb disk but as a rule I generally keep my / (root) filesystem down to a reasonable size, max 1Gb then create further lvols for other non O/S files systems. By non O/S file systems I don't mean /opt, /var, /usr, /tmp /stand & /home as I still class these as O/S as they are created during a basic install.

For example I might create a 1Gb filesystem called /u for an application area and a 10Gb /u1 filesystem as a data area for the application. This way if something goes wrong with your application and its starts writing large amounts of data you are not effecting your O/S.
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

/lvol3 is contigous file system . Therefore, it is only extended by ignite. (Syam solution is correct)
Other file system (except root / and /usr) you can extend online by using Online JFS software.
HTH
HP is simple
Kryno Bosman
Advisor

Hi Tony,

Creating filesystem /dev/vg00/lvol3 with a size of 5GB is somehow a bit strange to me. Why would you ever create a root with the size of 5GB? Maybe, you're not waiting for my opion but a root filesystem of 256MB (maybe 512MB) is big enough. If you need more, create a new filesystem, create a mountpoint under root and mount it.

With regards
Simplicity is too difficult for idiots like you and me...